Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   How do I make a buff spell? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63906)

yonman February 18th, 2020 05:20 PM

How do I make a buff spell?

So, I'm new to Hero Lab and I'm trying to make a buff spell that adds AC +4 and increases by 1 for every 4 caster levels above 4th, to a maximum of +7 at 15th level.

How do I edit the spell to create this effect so I can add it to my character when I cast it?

I can copy spells and edit them just fine I just don't know how to do the macroing.

Any help, thanks,

TheIronGolem February 19th, 2020 02:20 PM

This is what Adjustments are for.

Go to the "Adjust" tab on your character. There you will find that you can add a variety of effects that alter your character's stats in various ways. The one in particular that you would want is called "Armor Class Bonus" and is found in the Other Adjustments table.

Once you add the adjustment, you can set the bonus amount, set the type so that stacking rules are properly applied, and turn the bonus on or off at will.

Dami February 20th, 2020 02:06 AM

@Yonman: Note that spells themselves don't modify your Hero. You can create a new spell, or modify an existing one in the editor to get your new spell to say anything you want.
To have changes to the character "in play" you need to make a "Spell Adjustment", or just use AC adjustment like the IronGolem suggests. You could also make your own spell adjustment by copying and modifying an existing spell adjustment. 'Shield of Faith' is a good starting point.

Farling February 20th, 2020 03:53 AM

Don't forget to check what sort of bonus the +4 counts as (e.g. enhancement, trait), since many types of bonus don't stack.

yonman February 22nd, 2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dami (Post 286120)
@Yonman: Note that spells themselves don't modify your Hero. You can create a new spell, or modify an existing one in the editor to get your new spell to say anything you want.
To have changes to the character "in play" you need to make a "Spell Adjustment", or just use AC adjustment like the IronGolem suggests. You could also make your own spell adjustment by copying and modifying an existing spell adjustment. 'Shield of Faith' is a good starting point.

Thanks for the replies, I modified shield of Faith but where do I make the Spell Adjustments so I can use it In Play? My new spell still doesn't show up when I try to choose a spell for In Play use.

Dami February 22nd, 2020 02:53 PM

Editor > General tab > Adjustment tab. I can see a spell adjustment for Shield of Faith, so new (copy) that and modify it.
You may need the Community Pack installed if you can't see the existing Spell Adjustments.

yonman February 22nd, 2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dami (Post 286191)
Editor > General tab > Adjustment tab. I can see a spell adjustment for Shield of Faith, so new (copy) that and modify it.
You may need the Community Pack installed if you can't see the existing Spell Adjustments.

Thanks, that really helped. I think I understand what the Adjustments Tab represents. It shows up in my In Play tab now.

I thought the adjustments and the spell information had the same effects.