Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Text Limit in Storyboard Plot Details? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56224)

ItsMerts July 16th, 2016 06:13 AM

Text Limit in Storyboard Plot Details?

Hello,
I haven't GMed in years so I'm at a stage where I am writing pretty lengthy plot points in the storyboard, such as dialogue for the npcs, and descriptive text for where the scene is taking place. It appears that there is a limit to how much text you can type in a plot point detail. I have gotten around this by using both the "description" box and the "gm details" box. Besides shortenting my notes, is there anything else I can do to write longer notes for scenes?

wurzel July 16th, 2016 04:11 PM

Long texts I put into their own topics that I can then link to the plot points. That way I can also have explanatory pictures included, as the old saying goes "a picture says more than a thousend words".

Grey Mage July 16th, 2016 07:17 PM

I would be curious to know if there is a limit to the size of text only in a snippet?

Vargr July 16th, 2016 08:18 PM

I find that wurzel's way is the way to go.

The story board is for a visual view of the flow and what belongs where with a short description along the lines of "right, that was what I meant".
Then link it to a topic for a full description, details and whatnot.

Cornelius July 17th, 2016 04:43 AM

As wurzel and vargr says I use the flow as a visual representation of the plot. Each plotpoint is a scene (either a description of a location or encounter) that is its own topic.

In the flow I only enter some information as a small write up of the scene, so I know what happens.

MNBlockHead July 17th, 2016 09:01 PM

If they didn't limit text import, I would imagine that the storyboard would get unwieldy. Attaching topics to plot nodes is easy. You can easily open the attached topic in a new tab to edit and later use the plot to navigate your plot. Also, with a proper topic, you can add maps, pictures, hero-lab profiles, format the text, break text into snippets for more granular reveal...

Joe July 18th, 2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Mage (Post 232239)
I would be curious to know if there is a limit to the size of text only in a snippet?

If there is one, it's pretty large. I'm not aware of an intentional hard limit on snippet size. If there is some limitation, it's easy enough to just use a second snippet.

ItsMerts July 19th, 2016 06:27 AM

Ahh, got it! That was very helpful, thank you everyone!

weogarth January 10th, 2019 10:29 AM

Rather than start a new thread, let me ask a related question here:

Is there a limit on the number of text snippets in a topic or section of one? I'd been adding a bunch of snippets in the Additional Area of a topic and now it's refusing to allow me more.

EDIT: After combining a couple snippets into one, reducing the # of snippets by 4, I still can't add one. Is there a character limit on the entire topic?

kbs666 January 10th, 2019 10:39 AM

It's been mentioned before but it's a rather large number.