Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   So now that Pathfinder 2.0 IS a thing, what now? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60312)

The_Livewire August 30th, 2018 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quistar (Post 268922)
Just my two cents...

I prefer Hero Lab as a stand-alone program so I can use it without having to rely on an internet connection. If I lose that, I can't use the program. Also saves on bandwidth. Just something to think about.

Andrew <:-{}

I'll third this. HLO looks nice, but I prefer my systems contained on my computer.

Krothos August 30th, 2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triskavanski (Post 269822)
Pretty much the same here too. I usually make a character on my main PC, transfer over to my laptop and go with it there. If I don't have an internet connection it doesn't matter.

For me as well why I'm not interested in migrating to HLO if/when LW releases PF1 on that platform.

Geodragon August 31st, 2018 06:26 AM

And I, on the other hand will enjoy using my *Android* tablet and using HLO at the table instead of lugging the laptop. I just want the additional licenses so I can have two devices on at same time.

The_Livewire August 31st, 2018 02:45 PM

Fortunately, it's not an either/or proposition

Farling September 1st, 2018 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Livewire (Post 270084)
Fortunately, it's not an either/or proposition

There's been no mention that characters (.por files) will be transferrable between the two systems.

Fuzzy September 1st, 2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geodragon (Post 270067)
And I, on the other hand will enjoy using my *Android* tablet and using HLO at the table instead of lugging the laptop. I just want the additional licenses so I can have two devices on at same time.

RDP from my android tablet or phone to my HLC running at home - been doing this for 5 years or more.

Toblakai September 2nd, 2018 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy (Post 270112)
RDP from my android tablet or phone to my HLC running at home - been doing this for 5 years or more.

This would be considerable more bandwidth that HLO would be, plus you need to open your home network to the outside not for the non-tech savy to do securely unless you use a service like Team viewer.

I think they said HLO will uses about 100kB per hour vs approximately 25-50MB per hour for RDP, so only good if you have unlimited data or a wifi connection.

Fuzzy September 2nd, 2018 07:32 PM

For graphics light programs, like Hero Lab (especially if you flatten out some of the 'textured' background images, as I have), RDP does not use much data at all.

Toblakai September 3rd, 2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy (Post 270139)
For graphics light programs, like Hero Lab (especially if you flatten out some of the 'textured' background images, as I have), RDP does not use much data at all.

It is still order(s) of magnitude more than 100k.

EightBitz September 8th, 2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 270098)
There's been no mention that characters (.por files) will be transferrable between the two systems.

Yes there has. They've said their planning a portability feature for shared data sets. They haven't said exactly how it's projected to work, though.