Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   DnD 2nd ed Clerical Spheres (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=64495)

Lupis2004 July 7th, 2020 03:58 AM

DnD 2nd ed Clerical Spheres

Hi all,

I am currently setting up a clerical spheres system (lifted directly from 2nd ed DnD), so divine caster's spell selections are based on the spheres the God can grant rather than a single list of spells, an example of the spells selection (not my work) is here.

I was thinking 3 levels of access to the spheres, Minor (1st to 3rd level spells only), Major (4th to 6th level spells) and Supreme (7th to 9th level spells). For example, most gods would grant minor access to healing, so most clerics can heal etc, but only the gods related to health and healing would grant access to more powerful healing spells.

The hard part is bringing this into herolab, I've been using it for years but I have never setup custom content, especially something like this. Does anyone have any idea if this is feasible, and if so, how to do it?

Cheers

RavenX July 8th, 2020 04:09 PM

It would be a lot of work. Not going to lie but limiting spell selection lists based on Spheres from AD&D 2e would be a lot of work by itself. You might have to make a custom class for cleric and other divine classes that use spheres. The code for each custom sphere ability that replaced domain would need affect spell selection choices. It can be done, it just would be a lot of coding work.

Not to mention, you'd have to manually add the spheres to each spell somehow... only way to do that would be to make copies of every spell and add it manually...

Mathias July 9th, 2020 07:47 AM

I think this could be done with the *Extend Thing option - you'd need to define many new spellcasting types, like Healing Minor, Healing Major, and Healing Supreme, and then use Extend Thing to assign all the right categories to every spell.

Then, you use scripts to remove "cleric spells" from the list of spells a cleric can cast, and instead assign all of the correct ones of these new spellcasting types you've defined.

So I think it's doable, but a major undertaking.

Lupis2004 July 10th, 2020 01:41 AM

Thanks for teh replies, I had a feeling it would be major. Would a less elegant soultion to be create a custom class cleric for each god (basically clone the existing cleric) and create a custom spell list for each one?

RavenX July 10th, 2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupis2004 (Post 289565)
Thanks for teh replies, I had a feeling it would be major. Would a less elegant soultion to be create a custom class cleric for each god (basically clone the existing cleric) and create a custom spell list for each one?

You'd still have to ensure the spells have tags for the spheres. The expression for spells allowed does get long but it might not be long enough to handle a full spell list of individual spells. You'd want to add the spheres to the spells and then have your spell expression look for those tags for the spheres a cleric gets. It can be done but I see it being a lot of work.