Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Duplicate Category, or Unprotect and Edit? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58444)

Mettius May 17th, 2017 05:22 PM

Duplicate Category, or Unprotect and Edit?

For the game I'm working with (Battletech). There is a standard planetary data block used in published sourcebooks for planetary descriptions.

For example:
Noble Ruler:
Star Type (Recharge Time):
Position in System:
etc...

Since I don't want to have to create a new snippet for each of these every time I add a world (Planetary Body) to RW, which way should I go?

1. Unprotect and edit the default "Planetary Body" category adding these "standard" fields.
2. Create a copy of the "Planetary Body" and edit that?

I'm not sure if one or the other approach will be more painful when it comes to importing things from the content market?
What about ease of use in RW? Does having two cause clutter? Ease of use issues?

I was thinking of creating a copy, and naming it "World" or something to set it aside from the remaining default "Planetary Body". That way I could know at a glance which was which. Seems kind of strange to leave the original "Planetary Body" hanging around though.

daplunk May 17th, 2017 05:30 PM

I would recommend:

2. Create a copy of the "Planetary Body" and edit that?

kbs666 May 18th, 2017 03:01 AM

Never unprotect the default categories!

Trust me on this. Just don't do it.

Make copies, change the name slightly and use those.

ErinRigh May 18th, 2017 05:18 AM

I am with them, make a new category

the_redbeard May 20th, 2017 01:34 PM

Seems to me that there might be a better approach for those that are creating setting or game-specific custom categories, especially for settings or rule sets that won't be in the Content Market at the beginning.

Create a new Realm, name it for the setting or game, and create your custom categories in it. (As stated above, edited copies of the built-in categories, not edits of the originals).

Export that structure.

Then for every campaign that uses those categories, you import that structure.

If you have further custom categories for that setting or game structure as you create more, you can update your structure Realm, export again and re-import.

If I understand the work that Rob and folks have been doing on export and import, RW will do the re-import, but won't mess with the first import as it does recognize the source of the import. No duplicates, just adding the changed content. Does that work for additional snippets within the structure realm's original categories?

Anyway, this way others could benefit if you shared the Realm structure, and they could even update their import if you change the shared structure export.

As time goes by, RW should be more and more useful if more content is shared by the community.