Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - User Projects (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   First Post! Wahoo! Also, a serious question. (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7330)

Lawful_g December 7th, 2007 09:10 PM

First Post! Wahoo! Also, a serious question.

Dances the dance of the first poster...

I'm kind of wondering what this forum is for... Last time I heard things discussed I thought it was decided collaboration on Data file projects could not go on in the Hero Lab forums for fear of invoking the wrath of WotC, has that changed?

kingpaul December 8th, 2007 06:03 AM

WotC's position is that a user can create a datafile for their own personal use. However, the user is not to distribute this datafile without WotC's permission. Collaborations are not, therefore, permissable because the user's would be distributing the work to the others in a group.

Lawful_g December 8th, 2007 10:00 AM

That is what I had thought. Doesn't that render this section of the forum moot? No point in collaborating if work cannot be shared

"OK Bob, you do Complete Arcane, and I'll do Complete Mage, then when we're done, I'll do Complete Arcane and you do Complete Mage."

That doesn't seem like collaboration to me, it seems like each person doing all the work themselves anyway.

sppeterson December 8th, 2007 12:37 PM

I think there are other companies that are open to fan-created software support. Often smaller companies are very fan friendly in this regard.

Also, there's a fair bit of open content not made by WotC but which would be usable under the OGL.

DannyBoy2k December 8th, 2007 12:45 PM

Or this is a section meant for telling others what you're working on. And, possibly, where you can get them(as in, 'would you send them to me?') Borderline, maybe, but if I don't post my file here, only inform the rest of you that I've MADE the file...

kingpaul December 8th, 2007 02:40 PM

I should also point out that I was referring to WotC's closed content. They do have several items of OGC out there: SRD, RSRD, MSRD, Unearthed Arcana and d20 Weapons Locker...I think that's all they have.

MPHopcroft December 9th, 2007 06:16 PM

Once the Developer's Kit is completed, I'm hoping to see people come up with stuff for some of the other open systems, of which there seem to be more and more out there. As far as closed content, this probably isn't the place to discuss it.

FifthWanderer December 12th, 2007 05:03 AM

I'm personally planning on taking up the challenge of Spirit of the Century.

Lawful_g December 12th, 2007 12:47 PM

So where can I find information on which books are closed content? Is it only WotC books, or does such a classification apply to other D&D books published by other companies? I am thinking specifically of the Dragonlance game books produced by Margaret Weis productions.

krathen December 12th, 2007 08:55 PM

WotC is basically the fascism of RPG's. They only give the allusion of freedom.