Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   HL on iPad (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=45933)

undeadfish September 22nd, 2013 10:34 PM

HL on iPad

Trying to keep my character sheets in sync with each other between my computers and my iPad has been a bit of an issue. I can send to my iPad fairly easily through a couple methods, but I am having issues syncing back down to the computers.

I was curious if you guys had given some thought to adding DropBox (or similar) support to the products. This would make it easier to keep everything up to date with each other.

Also, a way of deleting characters from within the iPad app would be great as well.

kaintheseeker September 23rd, 2013 08:37 AM

Actually all you have to do is swipe right to left over the character to pull up the delete button on it.

liz September 23rd, 2013 08:57 AM

The ability to sync changes made on your iPad back to your computer via a cloud service like DropBox is not actually implemented in this version of the iPad app. Additionally, leveling up must be done on the computer.
Full Pathfinder Character Creation will be available in a paid-for app available at the end of this year.

[edited to clarify what character change features will be available in the paid-for app]

ShadowChemosh September 23rd, 2013 09:34 AM

Why can't you just "email" the .por file back to yourself and load it on your PC. That is what my players do. So at the top of the app is a right facing arrow. Pressing it brings up the option to email the statblock or the character.

So just email yourself the .por file and open in the Windows/Mac version of HL.

Even if their was dropbox you would still have to do pretty much the same steps. Only difference is it would be to a folder instead of an email.

liz September 23rd, 2013 09:59 AM

ShadowChemosh, that works as well. I'll clarify my initial reply, as I think undeadfish was referring to simple portfolio changes, which are covered by your advice of emailing the portfolio.

Kizan October 4th, 2013 07:26 AM

Even after reading all the feedback given so far I find myself agreeing with undeadfish. It's a pain to email the file back and forth, having to remember which version you emailed and so forth. This is what Dropbox was invented for! Several other iPad apps that I use directly read and write files to my Dropbox file structure.

The .por import and export process could be substantially improved (and really eliminated) by adding Dropbox functionality to the iPad app. I'm already storing all my .por files in Dropbox so I can pull them up across my PC/Mac machines clients. Adding it to the iPad client (and future clients) just makes sense.

Heck I even use Dropbox to sync my Pathfinder sources across all my PC/Mac clients, update one and the others get the update. No need download the ~100meg update file several times.

If the answer is "this is a feature that will only come with the paid-for app". That's cool. I'll buy it. If the reason is "it's too expensive to implement" (either in terms of time or money) I can live with that answer too. Side question: Is there a Hero Lab kickstarter to help fund goals like this? Some of these usability issues make it difficult for me to sell Hero Lab to some of my less technology-friendly gamer friends.

Kizan

liz October 4th, 2013 10:22 AM

The paid-for app will have Dropbox support. As for Kickstarters, we do not have any plans for new campaigns at this time.

khan October 6th, 2013 03:15 AM

Allowing the Ipad and desktop versions of hero lab to communicating with each other would be nice.

xyxrt October 18th, 2013 02:18 PM

Liz,

You mention that Dropbox will be implemented in the paid app. Will other storage solutions be supported as well, such as SkyDrive or Google Drive?

liz October 18th, 2013 06:03 PM

Right now we're looking mainly at DropBox.