Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - User Projects (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   To compile or not to compile? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=12874)

Lawful_g April 15th, 2011 06:13 PM

To compile or not to compile?

So I have 300+ monsters from the MM now, should I compile them into a single file? It would be easier to modify the Ability Focus feat to add to DCs and/or compile the many duplicate monster powers...

But on the other hand it would be more confusing to maintain, and would result in many empty .user files.

Mythanthor April 15th, 2011 07:27 PM

I would recommend a single file, having duplicate powers would be a pain to update with any changes.

chiefweasel April 15th, 2011 07:37 PM

ya 1 file would also help in resolving errors

Sendric April 18th, 2011 03:43 AM

I believe we are targeting release 2.0 to deal with the empty .user files, so that shouldn't be a major deterrent.

ShadowChemosh April 18th, 2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawful_g (Post 54828)
But on the other hand it would be more confusing to maintain, and would result in many empty .user files.

I am still concerned with empty .user files as I get them wrong during the Compile/Build stage I am going to screw up allot of players systems. In a way that maybe very hard to recover from.

My thoughts anyway....

rob April 18th, 2011 12:18 PM

Is it possible to can't find a balance in between? It doesn't HAVE to be an all-or-nothing decision.

If 300 monsters is unwieldy, then what about breaking it down into a 3-6 files? You could have 3 files of 100 monsters apiece, separating them alphabetically like is done for the stock portfolios. Or you could have 6 files of 50 monsters apiece. Or somewhere in between.

This way, you end up with a low number of files that aren't likely to get confused by anyone, while still keeping them highly maintainable.

Just an idea to consider....

ShadowChemosh April 19th, 2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 54923)
Just an idea to consider....

Thanks its an idea to think about. Though right now its more of the number of empty .user files that have to be kept.

By empty .user files I mean this as the method we currently use to delete a no longer used .user file from a end-gamers computer. This is because I currently know of a no way to have the import tool do this for us automatically. I know their is a switch the user can click to clear all .user files before import but that also wipes any custom .user files they have also.

So currently by combining files together we are left with Empty files in the data set. Are sort of plan for now is at the 2.0 release to have instructions that requires a clear of all .user files before the import process so that we can start fresh again. Still worried about what happens when they forget to click the button because they didn't read.

Then we will end up with lots of duplicate thing errors... :(

Sendric April 20th, 2011 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 55001)
Then we will end up with lots of duplicate thing errors... :(

Best we can do is make it as obvious as possible. Caution people to back up any personal .user files etc etc. Hopefully with it being version 2.0, that will stick out more as a major milestone, and people will be more apt to pay close attention to the details.

ShadowChemosh April 20th, 2011 08:28 AM

Yep. Best I think we can do. Thought about risner's idea where we make a program that just deletes the exact list of .user files. Though not sure everyone would trust such a app. Plus it would have to be pointed to the Hero Lab folder as it could be different on each persons computer.

Oh well just no real clean idea for doing it is all.....

rob April 20th, 2011 01:43 PM

Hey guys, Colen and I just discussed your dilemma and came up with an idea that might solve this for you. What if we had Hero Lab automatically delete all empty ".user" files once an import was completed? That way, you could consolidate files as appropriate and include empty ".user" files within the import file you constructed. However, everything would be cleaned up for the user so that extraneous files were left cluttering up the place.

If this will work for you, we'll do our best to get it implemented in the upcoming V3.7 release, which is targeted for release next month.