Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Hearty hello! (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53841)

Yskonyn September 13th, 2015 04:05 AM

Hearty hello!

Hello Realm Works users and devs,

I have just picked up Realm Works GM edition! :)
Have been tracking the software for some time and now decided to purchase.
Work has begun on my 3.5E campaign setting, but progress is slow as expected when diving into a piece of advanced software for the first time.
I am dabbling in the interface, trying out various stuff and workflows and in the mean time I am working on my project.
It's probably going to be restarted in RW again once I have a solid grasp on how things work and I decide I want to do things differently, but as with every great tabletop adventure; my adventure in RW is pretty fun and I do not care it'll take some time.

I don't think we will be playing the campaign in RW as well. For now I am using the software as a campaign manager more than a full suite.
I am used to Fantasy Grounds, so its there we will probably play the live sessions.

Anyway, nice meeting you.
If you have any great tips for DM communities, handy tools or what not, I would be grateful if you would share them. :)

Aaron September 14th, 2015 02:16 PM

Welcome to the forums and realm works in general, nice to meet you.

MNBlockHead September 14th, 2015 02:55 PM

Welcome!

The fact that you are using Fantasy Grounds caught my eye as I'm been looking into options for VTT and character sheets to use at the table. Once you get into RW a bit deeper, I would love to read more about your game-prep workflow and how you use each tool in game as well.

Right now I use RW to run my 5e games. My campaign is home brew, so I am not trying to type in content from printed material into RW. I find it very helpful to have all the historical information about the realm at my finger tips and have all kinds of cross links to content related to the scene I'm currently presenting to my players.

I also use RW to player view with a large plasma TV screen to reveal maps as they explore, but that may be of less use to you if you are using Fantasy Grounds for that.

Are you using Fantasy Grounds solely for remote games or do you use it at table with in-person games? When DnD 5e content was made available in FG, I seriously considered buying it, but the cost seems too high for my use case. I really don't need the VTT element most of the time and was more interested for digital character sheets and combat encounter management.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. RW has a bit of a learning curve, which is mostly due to its flexibility and needing to plan for you you want to use it in your campaign, but I've found it to be a great aid in planning and running my game sessions.

Yskonyn September 14th, 2015 04:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
I am sure RW will find a solid place in my workflow.

To be honest, I have little experience with DMing still. I have been playing in a table group for a few years. When things got difficult to plan for table sessions we switched to FG to play remotely as it fitted better with our schedules/locations, etc.

When my first child was born the RP sessions took a back seat and sadly all members of the group have moved on to other things.
I've always wanted to create my own Realm and eventhough I have little time to play, I have decided I can still make progress on the hobby in the form of gradually shaping my own world. Perhaps it will be ready for the spotlight some time. :)

At this point I am playing with RW, testing various things and discovering what goes where.

In the mean time while working on my world I have good hope that our group might play some premade commercial adventures once in a while.
It will be interesting to discover how RW will fit in with FG.

I find FG is not very good at the management part of a campaign, but it does allow for immersive gameplay sessions themselves.
The combat tracker is nice too.
The downtime is that when creating the world in RW you will always have to do double the work porting parts of it over to FG for a playsession.

Dark Lord Galen September 14th, 2015 04:56 PM

Welcome aboard!
And remember,,,,,,, the key words are
1- custom calendars
2-individual character reveal
3- and print/ export.... Or calendars:)

Acenoid September 15th, 2015 09:28 AM

Hello there and welcome to the forums!

Asmo September 20th, 2015 06:02 AM

Welcome, welcome!

Are you by any change Dutch, according to your user name ;-)

Yskonyn September 20th, 2015 06:10 AM

Yes I am! :)
Are you as well?

Gord September 20th, 2015 07:25 AM

Welcome to the group. I'm sure you will find RW just great for the fun world creation. Don't worry about learning it all at once. Checking out old forum post to see what other people are doing is a great way to get a feel for things.

gloranphile September 20th, 2015 11:07 AM

Hello and welcome!