Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Global Clear All Content Links and Rescan (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58214)

Farling March 11th, 2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 264191)
Developers will decide what goes in the backlog.

Usually it is the Product Owner ;-)

Valyar March 11th, 2018 11:17 AM

Indeed. I am tired as hell :)

kbs666 March 11th, 2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 264191)
Is there thread on that, I find this interesting - no mechanics at all?

Many.

Fundamentally RW is terrible as a substitute for a PDF of the rules of a game. RW is best at managing the game world and the adventures you run in that world. The bigger the realm gets the worse the performance gets. So putting tons of rules crunch that you can easily enough look up in a PDF simply degrades performance for little gain. Look at the stuff you'll actually use in the game session and see how many links, that you'll ever really follow, are to links to all those rules articles. If the reality is zero, and it almost certainly is then why have all that stuff in RW in the first place?

Farling March 11th, 2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 264211)
Look at the stuff you'll actually use in the game session and see how many links, that you'll ever really follow, are to links to all those rules articles. If the reality is zero, and it almost certainly is then why have all that stuff in RW in the first place?

I find links to spells and feats very useful for the quick nature of look-up within Realm Works.

I only entered important articles that were likely to get linked, like some of the pathfinder combat manoeuvres.

Parody March 11th, 2018 01:38 PM

I find having mechanics in my Realm Works realms more useful while creating than playing, especially when you're looking up a thing or things that are scattered between various sources (perhaps including your own creations).

Valyar March 12th, 2018 03:08 AM

Seems we are from different schools of thought :) My group plays with a lot of supplements involved, and having more than 1 PDF to scroll back and forth during session is not convenient. Using hardcovers is much better, but there comes the issue of owning all or carrying them around.

The main reason to buy Realm Works back then was the Mechanical section. Second was the possibility at late stage to put everything inside and no longer use PDF or books.

And it happened. It does an EXTRAORDINARY job of improving the preparation and running of a game session. It is the best digital tool in the world for aggregating information in a way that allows you to reach all you need in 1-2 clicks. No PDF will ever give this flexibility. even with proper bookmarking, as I have extracted the rules and the most important things out of the paragraphs.

Silveras March 12th, 2018 01:14 PM

A "Global Clear All Content Links and Re-Scan" makes (some) sense when the realm is small. As it gets bigger and more and more content is added, the option makes less and less sense.

If you have "auto-accept" on various topics, you will get some of the same incorrect links you had before, and maybe new ones as well.

In any case, the more content has been added, the more time you will need to spend clicking "Accept", "Accept", "Ignore", "Accept" as it churns through the various possibilities.

kbs666 March 12th, 2018 03:30 PM

Even scan for new links makes little sense once the realm reaches a certain size.

Try it on the community realm Nibirum discussed over in the RW in action forum. I tried it. After well over a half hour I gave up.

Merion March 13th, 2018 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 264261)
It is the best digital tool in the world for aggregating information in a way that allows you to reach all you need in 1-2 clicks.

I agree, but only in theory. The performance issues are a problem.

kbs666 March 13th, 2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 264300)
I agree, but only in theory. The performance issues are a problem.

My main realm has had some performance problems as it grew but I've been having just terrible performance issues since I started working on Nibirum, its approaching 1000 topics with lots of maps. Just opening a map sometimes hangs RW.