Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   HalfCaster Spells/Cantrips at 1st level (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62591)

Mergon May 22nd, 2019 08:43 AM

HalfCaster Spells/Cantrips at 1st level

Is there any word on when/if this change will be implemented?

The new Artificer (2019) from Unearthed Arcana needs this ability. I was hoping the latest HeroLab update would add it, but so far nada.

Fenris447 October 25th, 2019 07:34 AM

I second this. With the Artificer becoming an official 5e class in November's release, Hero Lab's 5e package will essentially be unusable for any players using this class without some sort of update.

I don't know how Hero Lab codes for this, but the Artificer's formula for determining how many spell slots it grants per level is ROUNDUP(Artificer Level/2), whereas all the other half casters round DOWN. If Hero Lab uses the multiclassing table as its basis for determining total levels available to a hero, we just need the ability to indicate that a class rounds UP when its levels are being applied.

I don't know if this would also affect the cantrips issue.

dungeonguru October 25th, 2019 04:07 PM

Did you open a ticket? Just wondering if we need to drop a line into the official todo list for the devs.

As I understand how casters work they look at the Helper tags, so they'll probably have to add a new Tag and new code behind the scene to populate the slots tables. (Helper.FullCaster, Helper.HalfCaster, Helper.3rdCaster and Helper. WarlocCast)

I petition for Helper.ArtifiCast with the rest of you.

Mergon October 25th, 2019 08:30 PM

I opened a ticket anywhere from 2-4 weeks before I posted this originally. :)

Fenris447 October 28th, 2019 01:40 PM

I wonder if they're waiting on the book to actually release? I think it's pretty safe to assume they'll be sticking with the "round up" approach for the Artificer, but I understand not devoting resources to it until it's a done deal.

Mergon October 29th, 2019 12:05 PM

One of the reasons, secondary at best, that I have not completed the UA - Artificer, is that we may just want to delete it all together from the Community Pack. It may not be worthwhile to go back and put it in after they fix the issues for a finalized version of the Artificer.

Fenris447 October 29th, 2019 02:06 PM

I can't imagine we're better off starting from scratch. You did some fantastic work on it.

Mergon October 30th, 2019 09:11 AM

I didn't mean to start the new Artificer from scratch. I will probably use most of it in the new official version if it is compatible. I just think that when the official version goes live, we should scrap the UA version as completing it may be a waste of time and effort.

Fenris447 October 30th, 2019 01:21 PM

Oh I see. I agree. My one question is whether or not we use the same IDs for the finalized version as we did for the playtest one. If we do, it would theoretically automatically transition everyone to the final version. But it could also break some portfolios.

dungeonguru October 30th, 2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenris447 (Post 283423)
Oh I see. I agree. My one question is whether or not we use the same IDs for the finalized version as we did for the playtest one. If we do, it would theoretically automatically transition everyone to the final version. But it could also break some portfolios.

From experience, that won't work. The few people that decided that the playtest or UA article is superior always raise a stink.

Personally I always wanted for the UA articles that were over a year old to get Obsoleted (like they do over on dndbeyond, etc.), the extremely unsupported stuff like the EN5ider stuff to get dropped and cleaned out and always had someone pop up and tell me we should keep what I thought was dead weight.