Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Hiding Derived Traits from Creatures/Monsters (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61856)

Gumbytie December 21st, 2018 11:17 AM

Hiding Derived Traits from Creatures/Monsters

So, a couple of different settings I am working on have some Derived Traits I created, like Beast & Barbarians > Savings and for Lankhmar > Corruption, and some others.

All well in good, no problem there.

The question, is it possible to tag such Traits as "character" only? Meaning they won't show up on a creature/monster? Especially since in most cases, the creatures don't have other relative traits, edges, etc. that relate to the derived trait.

I am just about completed on creatures from B&B (Core Book Golden Edition, Jalizar, and Tricarnia) and doing work on Lankhmar and some other settings. So I am noticing this effect now that I am putting in the critters.

It doesn't stop the program from working, and no specific errors, just a message occasionally that I do not remember right now.

Just curious.

CapedCrusader December 21st, 2018 09:31 PM

You could check to see if it's creature and if it is, assign a Hide.Trait tag to it.

Code:

if (hero.tagis(Hero.Creature) <> 0) then
  perform hero.assign[Hide.Trait]
  endif

That should prevent it from showing up for Creatures.

Gumbytie December 22nd, 2018 06:55 AM

Hmm, this looks like it should work so I am guessing I am putting it in wrong spot or maybe a timing issue?

I added a mechanic to setting:

Code:

Initialization 1000

if (hero.tagis(Hero.Creature) <> 0) then
  perform hero.assign[Hide.trBBSavings]
  endif

And I get the following error when trying to save file in Editor:

Quote:

Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'mecBBSavCheck' (Eval Script '#1') on line 1
-> Invalid use of reserved word 'hero' in script
I also tried placing this on a creature itself to try out, same error, as well as on the derived trait itself. So obviously I am doing something wrong :)

CapedCrusader December 23rd, 2018 10:57 AM

That's because it's

Code:

hero.tagis[Hero.Creature] <> 0
And you should probably put in on the Derived Trait itself rather than a mechanic.

Gumbytie December 26th, 2018 03:50 PM

Well, getting closer with the correction from ( to [ but still getting an error. This is with the script attached directly onto the Derived Trait. So we have the following script:

Initialization 1000
Code:

if (hero.tagis[Hero.Creature] <> 0) then
perform hero.assign[Hide.trBBSavings]
endif

and we get to line 2 now before an error occurs:

Quote:

Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'trBBSavings' on line 2 -> Tag 'Hide.trBBSavings' not defined
Also, hope everyone had a nice Christmas!

CapedCrusader December 26th, 2018 04:57 PM

Try

Code:

perform assign[Hide.Trait]
instead of Hide.trBBSavings. I didn't catch that last time.

Double oops, take the 'hero.' out of that...

Gumbytie December 30th, 2018 01:53 PM

Well, the good news is I am no longer getting any errors across characters or creatures. The bad news, it still does not "hide" the derived trait when in creature mode of HeroLab :)

Using the corrected code from above, at Initialization 10000.

I also have the Show Hero Tags floating window open and it "sees" the piece of code apparently:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bopod6hhs...Tags.png?raw=1

So much closer than ever but not quit hitting the target.

BTW, many thanks every time Caped Crusader reads and posts a suggestion. He has a day job, and is busy working towards getting us a version for the new SWADE version. I also backed the Kickstarter so have even made my own "test" files to test things out. I do like what I see so far.

Cheers...wow, a new year coming, where did the old one go?

CapedCrusader December 30th, 2018 05:27 PM

That looks like the tag is on the hero - it should be on the trait. And that's on me. Take the 'hero.' out of that.

Gumbytie December 30th, 2018 06:10 PM

In case someone reads this thread looking for a solution. Caped Crusader closed the deal!

the proper code is:

Code:

if (hero.tagis[Hero.Creature] <> 0) then
perform assign[Hide.Trait]
endif