Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Online Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   HLO Slow and Clunky (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62977)

Saint Bernard August 2nd, 2019 09:43 AM

HLO Slow and Clunky

I have Pathfinder 2nd Edition on HLO and Pathfinder 1st Edition on HLC. In comparison with HLC, HLO is extremely slow, waiting up to a minute to add a select item to the character. HLC has a much better interface to use. As a fan of HLC, I am disappointed with HLO. I will continue to use HLO but only because there are no real alternatives out there. Please consider porting Pathfinder 2nd Edition to HLC.

Alewis August 2nd, 2019 04:51 PM

+1

I never considered trying a competitors product but if all future systems are only on HLO, I'll have to do some research.

skald1 August 2nd, 2019 07:40 PM

Regrettably, I am on the verge of asking for a refund. I’ll come back to it once it’s done.

Having to wait between 10 and 40 seconds between checkbox clicks and minutes at a time when five skills are checked in rapid succession is entirely unacceptable and not worth the money. It renders the product unusable in live games.

Edge, Firefox, Chrome — all the same.

EightBitz August 3rd, 2019 02:45 AM

Strange. I'm not having those delays. I'm noticing it is a bit sluggish, but just enough to be noticeable and annoying. Maybe a second to a half-a-second.

I wonder what the variables are. I'm guessing I'm on at an odd time right now, so the server load is probably low. It's web-based, so I don't know how much the local computer's performance matters.

I'm assuming if you had bandwidth or latency issues, you'd notice performance hits when otherwise browsing the web.

Could it be the prime-time server load, then?

flyteach August 3rd, 2019 04:26 AM

It's pretty much primetime and users desperately hoping this will work and being terribly disappointed. This is the worst over the 18 months I've been using HLO. Same device, was not this bad last year, and that's not even delving into the multitude of new errors on SF stuff that worked fine, printing that also worked fine until a month ago, and while I haven't had the opportunity yet, a whole host of bugs in PF2 that I'll get around to writing up after the con.

danlswanson August 3rd, 2019 03:09 PM

Agreed. Do not like HLO at all. Luckily, my group is not going to PF2 - so we will stay with HLC and PF1. Glad I only signed up for the demo and didn't pay any $$$ for HLO.

blkohn August 3rd, 2019 04:43 PM

Agree that it is too slow. Also the UI seems very click intensive to decide anything. I'm not a ui dev, but there have been a lot of advances in ui/ux design over the years that might help here. Anything to economize dialog use and clicks to achieve state change would be welcome.

Parody August 3rd, 2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 280812)
I wonder what the variables are.

I'm guessing you weren't trying from (roughly) 8 AM to Midnight Eastern Daylight Time, during the release of Pathfinder 2nd Ed. at Gen Con? :)

I was poking around late last night (Central time) and it was running reasonably smoothly; trying during the day yesterday meant very long waits.

They will have to look into better scaling during peak times as things go forward, but I'm sure "get PF2 updated and working" was the company goal for the last few months.

taks August 3rd, 2019 05:47 PM

Sad

I seriously hope this is not the final product. It's basically unusable.

Master Abilities
"Resource overspent: 5 of 2"... there are only 2 selections there. Imaginary.

I have a familiar, it tells me I need to choose a language, but no option anywhere to choose one.

It took over an hour to build a 1st level wizard, not because I didn't know what to select, but because every selection took so long.

Please tell me there will be a classic version...

EightBitz August 5th, 2019 11:47 AM

Using the product more, I see more and more where it is slow and clunky. I'm having more and more issues with it. I've been creating characters today, and I got an error when trying to add a spell book to a wizard.

I got an error when trying to add spells to a cleric, but the error came up after a pause while it was trying.