Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Designer's Diary Articles (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57456)

rob January 20th, 2017 06:03 AM

The next one is going to be really long, simply because there's a ton of stuff to cover. About three times the length of the initial two. Once you see it, let me know if it's TOO long. It COULD be broken up into multiple entries, but that seemed like more work, plus it would result in lots of folks not getting the complete details (i.e. those who only read part 1 and not part 2). I'll be interested to know what you guys think about bigger entries vs. multi-installment entries after you see it.

Note that the new long one is NOT intended to become the norm. However, there are a number of additional titles on my todo list that WILL be long. So I'm looking for guidance on how best to handle those in the future.

I anticipate that the new entry will be posted sometime on Friday, possibly late on Friday. Once it goes live, BJ or I will post an update here in this thread. So this is just a "heads-up" post for everyone. :)

rob January 20th, 2017 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 241882)
Ridiculously technical is ok if it is detail on the why or how of the process. The more we understand of that stuff the better we know what is and isn't possible.

Agree and disagree. The more technical it is, the more the techies will understand. But the more likely the non-techies will react negatively and feel that Realm Works is too technical for them. There are a zillion non-techies out there playing RPGs, so I have to be ever-mindful of that and do my best to cater to them as well. Consequently, I have to be as non-technical as possible, but I also have to be sufficiently technical to clearly explain the complicated aspects of everything.

It's NOT a fun dilemma to deal with, and everything ends up taking a whole lot longer as a result. <sigh>

Vargr January 20th, 2017 09:02 AM

Maybe the two can be combined.

Make a non-techie article.

Then inter-spaced within that article have some text boxes with gray background and write some technical/in-depth explanations, that are not needed to use the feature(s) in question.

Remember to make clear at the beginning that the gray text boxes are optional/not required and intended for those interested in the technical details.

I use this when making manuals for my instructors (they are not supposed to teach that which is in gray text boxes, it is for their in-depth understanding) and it works well.

Silveras January 20th, 2017 11:42 AM

Or just start the top with the low-technicality explanation, and provide a more technical explanation as a sub-section after that. It winds up being longer, but may be easier to manage overall.

rob January 20th, 2017 03:51 PM

Solid suggestions. I'm just worried that the articles end up:

1. Becoming much longer (and therefore "scary" to new users)
2. Have sections that all of us OCD gamers feel that we MUST read, even when we're told not to, which adds confusion
3. Take more time to both write and post with all the special formatting

So I'm also considering splitting them up into two articles, with one focusing on all the basics for everyone and a follow-on delving into the technical depths. Again, more work to write, but possibly a better approach with regards to less technical users. Even with theoretically simple stuff like this, nothing is ever easy. <sigh>

BigSkyRPG January 20th, 2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 242105)
Solid suggestions. I'm just worried that the articles end up:

1. Becoming much longer (and therefore "scary" to new users)
2. Have sections that all of us OCD gamers feel that we MUST read, even when we're told not to, which adds confusion
3. Take more time to both write and post with all the special formatting

So I'm also considering splitting them up into two articles, with one focusing on all the basics for everyone and a follow-on delving into the technical depths. Again, more work to write, but possibly a better approach with regards to less technical users. Even with theoretically simple stuff like this, nothing is ever easy. <sigh>

I for one would be happy for you to put your Magnum Opus on hold and push out the 5e changes instead, so I can get back to work entering stuffs for my campaign. :)

AEIOU January 20th, 2017 05:03 PM

@BigSkyRPG: Rob is waiting for my birthday tomorrow. And then for the next business day. Sorry, it's all my fault. If it's any consolation, I agree with you but I totally realize we already burned our Luck stat last week to get weekend support. Rules are rules. Rob doesn't make then, he just enforces them....

BigSkyRPG January 20th, 2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeiou (Post 242111)
@bigskyrpg: Rob is waiting for my birthday tomorrow. And then for the next business day. Sorry, it's all my fault. If it's any consolation, i agree with you but i totally realize we already burned our luck stat last week to get weekend support. Rules are rules. Rob doesn't make then, he just enforces them....

lol:d

BJ January 20th, 2017 06:58 PM

There's a new article up!

Making the Most of Official Content

BigSkyRPG January 20th, 2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ (Post 242119)
There's a new article up!

Making the Most of Official Content

I'm disappointed; Rob promised us long and wordy. :)