Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - User Projects (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   DC Heroes or Blood of Heroes? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=10248)

Shadowchaser May 8th, 2010 12:36 PM

DC Heroes or Blood of Heroes?

Has anyone got either of these systems up and running in Hero Lab?

Dix August 29th, 2014 06:44 AM

We have the same doubt here....anyone even tried to use the author kit and implement it?

Kairos September 7th, 2014 12:52 PM

I've thought about it, but my AK time has been seriously curtailed with a new job I took in May. :/

MPHopcroft December 17th, 2014 07:09 PM

The license situation surrounding MEGS (The system that drives DC Heroes) is so nightmarish that even in this age of brazen retro-cloners nobody has been willing to touch it. And nobody can do a full revival because nobody knows who might actually have the rights among the multiple claimants.

charlieluce December 18th, 2014 06:05 PM

Yeah, Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition is probably about as close as you're likely to see.

MPHopcroft December 20th, 2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieluce (Post 199856)
Yeah, Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition is probably about as close as you're likely to see.

It is still substantially different. Powers are handled completely differently, for example, and the AV/EV/OV concept does not exist. Those new, smaller numbers are essentially D20 bonuses stripped from stats and made to stand alone.

Mind you, when applied to the DC Universe it seems to work, but it's not DC Heroes as we used to know it.

charlieluce December 20th, 2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPHopcroft (Post 200025)
It is still substantially different. Powers are handled completely differently, for example, and the AV/EV/OV concept does not exist. Those new, smaller numbers are essentially D20 bonuses stripped from stats and made to stand alone.

Mind you, when applied to the DC Universe it seems to work, but it's not DC Heroes as we used to know it.

I didn't say it was the same, I said it was as close as you were likely to get in an in-print system.

Now, given that you can't actually IP raw game mechanics, if a sufficiently motivated group wanted to change the names of everything and roll that out, they might get some community funding, but I lost touch with the MEGS community years ago, so I have no idea if that's anywhere in the cards.

Probably be a pretty extensive Hero Lab project, too.

MPHopcroft December 20th, 2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieluce (Post 200027)
Probably be a pretty extensive Hero Lab project, too.

Enormous. A hundred or so powers, with with two different cost levels (one to just get the power at 0APs and more to increase its value), plus skills, nine attributes with two different cost levels, a very large pool of points which is intended to be scaled to match campaign power levels, a variety of mutually incompatible systems for creating gadget/equipment -- all of which change, sometimes dramatically, between editions -- and you get something that's an unholy mess to code.

RPGs aren't typically made like that anymore. DC Heroes was a brilliant late 1980s design. It doesn't match 2014 design philosophies well at all.

Kairos January 24th, 2015 03:34 AM

I've started work on these data files. Got the AP cost table build last night, and am moving on from there. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Kairos January 29th, 2015 06:06 PM

Work continues apace. Basics of AP purchasing are in place. Now on to building more basic objects like skills and powers.

WIP screenshot