Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Hero Lab 8.9 Released (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63234)

DaveM September 23rd, 2019 03:47 PM

Hero Lab 8.9 Released

The primary change in Hero Lab 8.9 is 64-bit support for both Windows and Mac platforms.

For Windows, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are installed, and users may use either. Unless your version of the operating system disallows it, we recommend the 64-bit version for all users, however either may be used and you may even swap between them if necessary.

For the Mac, the 32-bit version has been retired as it is incompatible with the latest operating system (10.15 Catalina), so you only have the 64-bit version.

Silveras September 23rd, 2019 04:16 PM

Does RealmWorks integration with HeroLab support the dual 32/64 bit installation? It did not during the beta stage, but because the application name and window title, etc., did not match, I was not surprised and did not view that as a bug.

Matt Droz September 23rd, 2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

I'm getting an error message (below) when trying to open more than one instance of Hero Lab on my machine at a time. Being a DM, this is pretty much how I can keep track of players and other characters at once without loading 20 portfolios into one file. Was this a deliberate action on the update? If so, can we ask to have it changed back? If not, when can it be fixed?

Code:

Only a single instance of Hero Lab can be used at a time prior to licensing.
Just to clarify, this isn't a license issue where I'm opening Hero Lab on different machines, but opening a second instance on the same machine.
I was about to hit submit on this, then I made sure to activate the license on both the 34-bit AND 64-bit versions of the software and the error went away. Later!

Tekwych September 23rd, 2019 07:55 PM

Did you require the license after the update?

Silveras September 24th, 2019 08:16 AM

One of the "known issues" with the 64-bit beta was that it only allowed one instance of HeroLab at a time. That's not a license issue, or at least was not described as one.

Matt Droz September 24th, 2019 11:06 AM

After I installed the 64-bit, I got the error message, even after reactivating the license. I then went into the 32-bit version and reactivated the license there, and I was able to open multiple instances on my desktop again.

FlySaab September 24th, 2019 11:28 PM

The 64-bit MacOS version 8.9 will not open. I am on MacOS 10.13.6. I have reported it to the support line. I saw some comments on the FaceBook announcement that other Mac users are having the same issue.

Ualaa September 26th, 2019 02:56 PM

If I right click on the taskbar icon, then I can open a second instance of the 64-bit Hero Lab classic.

With the 32 bit version, the icon to launch created a temporary icon of the running program that had the same graphical appearance as the taskbar launch icon. A simple left click on the taskbar icon would open another instance.

It's not really that hard to right click and then choose a recently opened portfolio or to open a second (or third) instance of HL.

amz1 September 27th, 2019 08:42 AM

I'm finding HLC to be borderline unusable since updating to this new version. Frequent crashes upon opening, though it does occasionally work. Anyone else having trouble?

charlieluce September 27th, 2019 09:36 AM

8.9 is working fine on all three PCs for us.