Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Cortex System (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Attributes below D4 (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=38922)

Heather February 24th, 2013 03:41 PM

Attributes below D4

Is there any way to drop an attribute to D2? I've tried checking the editor, but while it allows me to create a new attribute, I can't find a way to set the minimum.

Heather February 25th, 2013 03:00 PM

Sorry, didn't realise the hubby had already asked this for me.

Also, even when I created a whole new stat and gave it a different name, it didn't show up for the character I was trying to assign it to. All that showed was the old usual Strength. So even if I could find a way to tell a new attribute that it has no minimum, how do you then get the character to be able to use it?

2nd Edit:
Ok, I figured out that I needed to change a couple of things in the new attribute to make it appear. But I had to put it in position 7, which meant then everyone in the portfolio saw the new attribute (even though they all already had the regular strength attribute), and the character that needed the lower strength of course also had both the old and new. And the new one still wouldn't go below D4.

Any ideas?

Mathias February 27th, 2013 09:37 AM

What circumstances are you doing this under? Is this a new race that has a strength minimum of d2 instead of the normal d4 for most races? Or is there another reason you're trying to do this?

You mention creating a new attribute, but I don't understand why you're doing so, especially since you seem to be calling the new attribute strength, which is the name of an existing attribute.

On the In-Play tab, the Attribute Steps option from the Adjustments table will let you change the die size for an attribute, and d2 is an option in that range.

Heather February 27th, 2013 06:53 PM

Oh, thank you. In fact, the In-Play tab gives temporary adjustments, while the Personal tab lets me do permanent adjustments. Awesome! I'm afraid I've only just started playing with Hero Lab for my own campaign (usually the hubby runs them, but even he didn't know this) and I couldn't find this anywhere. I was trying to figure out how to change the steps, and the Editor seemed the only way.

The reason I wanted to make the change was because I've got 42-point characters just starting out. One of my guys made his concept essentially a god, so I suggested a compromise where he *was* a god but somehow he'd been trapped inside the body of a kitten and therefore was suffering from severe limitations on his usual abilities (think Illyria in Angel). A kitten is neither very strong nor vital, so I let him have those at D2 while he boosted his Int and Wil. I'm actually looking forward to running this character. I'm already laughing at the idea of a kitten strutting around meowing, and everyone hearing telepathically, "Why do you not kneel before me, mortal scum!?!" It ought to be hilarious.