Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Why is the database machine bound? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48973)

mantrasong April 12th, 2014 09:20 AM

Why is the database machine bound?

I'm on the fence for purchasing Realm Works, and I have exactly 0 desire to have an ongoing cloud subscription, once the initial trial period runs out. However, I like the idea of being able to sync between desktop and laptop, which *ought* to be an "at your own risk of corruption" network/dropbox option. (Even better would be to have database locking features, but I'm not going to be too ambitious here...)

However, everything I see says that the database is essentially secured with machine specific information to prevent this use case from being available. Is there a technical reason for that, or is it solely to force people to use the cloud subscription?

Edit: As an additional question - what happens if I replace hardware components without backing up my database? Am I just going to have to err on the side of paranoia - "always backup before a computer upgrade"? Or is there a way to recover the database post catastrophic hardware failure? (Like, say, motherboard)

Edit #2: To be clear, this is the issue I'm asking about:
Quote:

Can I put the Realm Works database on a LAN or shared drive and use it from multiple computers?

No! The Realm Works database must be installed on a local drive and must only be accessed from one computer. Each client database is uniquely tied to a given machine and is NOT a multi-user database. Your data will be corrupted and unusable if you attempt to do this, so please don’t do this. The proper solution is to install Realm Works on all the various computers that you wish to use and then use cloud syncing to keep them all up-to-date with the latest content. You can also backup and restore your content without cloud service. Both options are outlined in the "Can I move my database to another machine?" FAQ question.

Farling April 12th, 2014 10:47 AM

You can export the database to a file, transfer the file to another machine, then import the file into RW on that other machine (to entirely replace the whole database on that other machine).

Don't try copying the file without using the export/import function.

Nikmal April 12th, 2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantrasong (Post 180465)
I'm on the fence for purchasing Realm Works, and I have exactly 0 desire to have an ongoing cloud subscription, once the initial trial period runs out. However, I like the idea of being able to sync between desktop and laptop, which *ought* to be an "at your own risk of corruption" network/dropbox option. (Even better would be to have database locking features, but I'm not going to be too ambitious here...)

However, everything I see says that the database is essentially secured with machine specific information to prevent this use case from being available. Is there a technical reason for that, or is it solely to force people to use the cloud subscription?

Edit: As an additional question - what happens if I replace hardware components without backing up my database? Am I just going to have to err on the side of paranoia - "always backup before a computer upgrade"? Or is there a way to recover the database post catastrophic hardware failure? (Like, say, motherboard)

You are not "forced" into a cloud subscription!!! The ONLY time you need to go on the internet at all is when you create the realm itself. Have you read any of the FAQ at all? it does state that the cloud subscription is completely optional and opens up other options that you could not get with out it.

You can work completely offline and back up your data to a file on your computer without connecting to the internet. You can still share information to your players via another screen or the one you are using. But you will not be able to share information through the cloud unless you are wanting to pay for it eventually. Meanwhile you have the option where you have cloud service for free for 6 months when you purchase it. You do not need to use the cloud service at all if you choose not to and can save to your hard drive too.

So please do not assume that you are bound and or trapped in to using the "cloud" service ok?

Nikmal April 12th, 2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 180466)
You can export the database to a file, transfer the file to another machine, then import the file into RW on that other machine (to entirely replace the whole database on that other machine).

+1 to this. It does allow you to port it to a hard drive and read it from there.

lifer4700 April 12th, 2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikmal (Post 180468)
You are not "forced" into a cloud subscription!!! The ONLY time you need to go on the internet at all is when you create the realm itself.

Does one need a subscription to The Cloud in order to connect and create a realm?

Nikmal April 12th, 2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifer4700 (Post 180471)
Does one need a subscription to The Cloud in order to connect and create a realm?

No you do not need a subscription to the Cloud service at all to create a realm.

From the FAQ:

Does player access to content require the Cloud Services?

Answer For players to access revealed content independently of the GM, the realm will need to exist within the Realm Works cloud, which means that Cloud Services are necessary. Whether it’s via the Player Edition or web-based player access, the data being viewed will need to be retrieved from our server (i.e. the cloud). That's necessary so that we can orchestrate all the security for ensuring individual players can only access exactly the information you've revealed to them - which is a rather complex process.

There's no requirement for GMs to utilize the cloud, however. The Player View mechanism can be fully leveraged without the cloud. Independent player access to revealed content is an option that some GMs will choose to make available to their players and others won't. Our hope is that most GMs will find the benefits of player access to content to be well worth the nominal extra investment in the cloud service.

EightBitz April 12th, 2014 03:18 PM

You do need ACCESS to the cloud to create a Realm, but not a subscription. The minimal level of access required to create a realm is free. No subscription. No cost. Once the realm is created, you're free to use it offline.

mantrasong April 12th, 2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 180466)

Well, yes, but I would much rather have a network database that I can access from any of my own computers. The only reason I can think of that they would tie in *machine specific* information into a database is to ensure that this isn't possible.

Yes, I can back up and restore, but I frequently switch between laptop and desktop freely for campaign development, and sync all of my data over Dropbox. I don't care about sharing with my PCs, that isn't a feature that matters to me. In fact, all of the main cloud benefits are things that aren't useful to my current play style. What matters to me is convenience in editing the database wherever I am. I don't want to pay $40/year for functionality I currently have via Dropbox.

As much as I love the idea of Realm Works, the thought that I'd lose that ability makes me very reluctant to pay for it, because it *feels* like I'm being pushed towards a cloud subscription, even if I'm not "forced".

I also remain very concerned about the possiblity of hardware failure corrupting the database for no reason besides the fact that the developers wanted to tie that information in. (My current computer isn't exactly the peak of stability, this is a real concern for me. I've already had to re-issue my Hero Lab license over email due to hardware failure, and I may yet do it again)

Mystic Lemur April 12th, 2014 05:33 PM

Can the location of the database be changed to another folder, perhaps a shared folder or drive on the network, or is it hard coded into Realm Works?

Galahan April 12th, 2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 180484)
You do need ACCESS to the cloud to create a Realm, but not a subscription. The minimal level of access required to create a realm is free. No subscription. No cost. Once the realm is created, you're free to use it offline.

I bought the realm works and I was somewhat disappointed that it's not entirely off line. Even after you created your realm in the cloud, you need access to the internet to run the software, because it has to be authenticated everytime you use it. This is a problem for me, because I like to work on my laptop in my spare time and sometimes I don't have internet available.