Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Modifying the Character Sheet possible? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=54834)

MagicSN January 30th, 2016 03:33 AM

Modifying the Character Sheet possible?

Hi!

Is it possible to modify the character sheet without the .dat files, only using the editor? As that's the part where I like my own 5e datasets better and it would be great if I could port some of my features over to the official version of the datafiles ;-)

MagicSN

Hollis January 30th, 2016 04:29 AM

Unfortunately, creating a custom character sheet isn't something that can be done in the editor.

MagicSN January 30th, 2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollis (Post 222850)
Unfortunately, creating a custom character sheet isn't something that can be done in the editor.

That's what I feared - is it possible you will at least release the .dat files for the character sheet, if not for the whole thing? This would really help!

Alternatively I could send you code snippets for my must-have features and you could have a thought if you think it a good idea to implement them ;-)

For me some of the stuff I have in my datafiles but you not in yours is the prime reason why I don't switch over to the official datafiles right now. I really like what you did, it is in many ways better than my implementation - but some stuff I absolutely need is sadly missing and due to no .dat files I cannot implement it, mostly this is regarding the character sheet though probably some changes to core classes would also be needed :(

MagicSN

Aaron January 30th, 2016 09:47 AM

You can create custom sheets without access to the .dat files. There are a couple popular ones for pathfinder, but I'm not sure how the documentation for that would apply to this new game system. Custom sheets are sadly something I am not very familiar with. I'll check into this for you next week.

MagicSN January 31st, 2016 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron (Post 222886)
You can create custom sheets without access to the .dat files. There are a couple popular ones for pathfinder, but I'm not sure how the documentation for that would apply to this new game system. Custom sheets are sadly something I am not very familiar with. I'll check into this for you next week.

Thanks a lot, Aaron! This is much appreciated.

Best would be if I could just modify parts of the sheet, like adding a new box with some additional data and leave the rest itselves. Or for the optional Spellpoint rule from DMG I would want to display the sheet as normal if it is deactivated, but if it is activated I would want to disable the spell slots display and at the same place display my spellpoint cost list instead.

Maybe an option would be that the character sheet code is actually released as .dat files? Is it possible a dataset is done partially as .pkg, and partially as .dat files or do you need to do either the one or the other?

Best regards,
Steffen

Aaron February 2nd, 2016 08:09 AM

Well, I checked into this and am told that the structures for this aren't in the 5e system yet, so you'd need to hold off for now. We'll try and get things set up in the next few phases.

MagicSN February 3rd, 2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron (Post 223192)
Well, I checked into this and am told that the structures for this aren't in the 5e system yet, so you'd need to hold off for now. We'll try and get things set up in the next few phases.

Ok, Thanks!

Best regards,
MagicSN

Ambush March 29th, 2016 10:27 AM

Any further updates/information on this one? I remember AncientOne's Pathfinder sheet was pretty super awesome...especially with the fact that you'd automatically get updates through the tool...

jfjohnny5 April 1st, 2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron (Post 223192)

Bummer. I bought Hero Lab to make it easier to create physical sheets. I wish I'd known they didn't look like the "standard" D&D character sheet.

schekker April 9th, 2016 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfjohnny5 (Post 227282)
Bummer. I bought Hero Lab to make it easier to create physical sheets. I wish I'd known they didn't look like the "standard" D&D character sheet.

I would already settle for looking a lot better than they currently do.:(

My whole reason for using Herolabs is to easily print out updated charactersheets.