Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How do you use the "flavor" snippet style? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55242)

MNBlockHead March 4th, 2016 10:35 PM

How do you use the "flavor" snippet style?

The ability to apply a snippet style is one of the newer features that I'm using a lot, but mostly for the "read aloud" style. For the most part, for non-GM instruction snippets, I use Normal and Read Aloud. I also apply truth levels where it makes sense.

I don't use the "message"snippet style much, but it is clear to me what its purpose is.

But I don't see the need for the "flavor" snippet. Isn't everything that's not crunch, "flavor"? Why would you need to highlight something as flavor?

If you use the flavor snippet style, please share example of how you've found it useful and what kind of text you've taken the extra step to mark as "flavor."

rob March 5th, 2016 12:34 AM

This was added primarily for use with published material. In most rulebooks, adventures, modules, and whatnot, there are sidebars with brief tales about characters to add color - or "flavor" - to the main material of the book. Within the assorted books, this text is frequently placed in a sidebar, visually distinguishing it from the rest of the material. The "flavor" snippet style affords us with a way to visually distinguish that same text from the rest of the material within a given topic.

You are free to use this style for your own purposes, although most homebrew content that I've seen doesn't employ "flavor" text, so it's not likely to be of much use to a lot of users for their own creations. And I'm guessing that's probably why you don't see the need for it in the first place. :)

Silveras March 5th, 2016 10:46 AM

Paizo's flavor text is often presented as journal pages and quotations from famous (or not so famous) setting figures.

So I use the "Message" style for documents pertinent to the adventure, and the "Flavor" style for documents / journals that are not really part of the storyline.

MNBlockHead March 5th, 2016 01:49 PM

Ah, okay. Makes sense. I've got a "completest" bent. I've learned to get over that and not try to fill in everything in RW unless I really have a good reason for using it, but I still feel a bit of angst when there is a feature I'm not using. :)

I'll probably not use flavor, since I'm more likely to put in a parenthetical with an autolink to another topic for more background info. I can see how having a special snippet like this would make sense in an module or adventure path.

Just got Curse of Straud yesterday. I could see snippets from the Tome of Straud as flavor text (or in the DnD monster manual, the little adventurer quotes they have through out).

Writing this, I do have an inkling of an idea of how it could be fun to use flavor-text snippets. I could put in little quotes from journals and rumors. Thinks that do not come up in actual play but reward players with more flavor and some fun "Easter eggs" if they bother to read the revealed content between sessions.

ShadowChemosh March 5th, 2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 225657)
Writing this, I do have an inkling of an idea of how it could be fun to use flavor-text snippets. I could put in little quotes from journals and rumors. Thinks that do not come up in actual play but reward players with more flavor and some fun "Easter eggs" if they bother to read the revealed content between sessions.

That's a cool idea.