Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Shadowrun (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Bug Reports - Version 2.8 (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=20541)

cryptoknight April 16th, 2012 11:17 AM

Not true.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner's Companion page 110
Metagenetic Qualities Metagenetic qualities are special Positive and Negative
qualities that can only be taken by characters with the appropriate genetic background. Only characters that have bought a metavariant metatype (pp. 70–72) or the changeling quality (p. 73) may choose qualities from this section.

Mathias April 16th, 2012 11:20 AM

I think that's contradicted by pg 73: "The first step when creating a changeling character is to choose a normal metatype (human elf, dwarf, ork, or troll), metavariant..."

I think the part on pg 110 is talking about the fact that metavariants get free metagenetic qualities from their race - it's not allowing them to purchase more.

cryptoknight April 16th, 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearwillis (Post 80454)
Yes that is what I'm saying - Am I right or wrong on this - it is confusing me LOL - and if so is there a work around. I was Just asking because my Shadowmaster allows this.

You're correct.

I originally misunderstood what was wrong, originally I thought you were saying that you took changeling and then wondered why the metagenetic qualities weren't counting against your 35 total quality points, once you posted that you were doing this to a Formori, it made more sense.

jbearwillis April 16th, 2012 11:23 AM

Ok LOL now I don't feel so stupid, lol - is there a work around, for this, Mathias and I would just like to thank you and CryptoKnight for the quick response from you too. This forum is the best.

cryptoknight April 16th, 2012 11:24 AM

That's not what the rules say. The original quote was talking about actual changeling characters... Metavariants are Metagenetic by default.

Mathias April 16th, 2012 11:26 AM

On the personal tab, in the "Permanent Adjustments" table, there's a "Negative Quality Build Point Limit" adjustment that you can use to allow more or less negative qualities.

cryptoknight April 16th, 2012 11:32 AM

I suppose you could read it either way. The best bet would be to get a clarification from the authors.

There's other problems with Metagenetic Qualities. Page 110 lists several normal qualities that are also metagenetic. We talked about this in the developers forum a few months back, and I forget what you had said, but this is important if somebody wants to use the negative qualities to offset something they changlinged for.
Quote:

Other Metagenetic Qualities
In addition to the metagenetic qualities introduced below,
the following qualities available in Shadowrun, Fourth Edition
qualify as Metagenetic qualities (see Qualities, p. 77, SR4; New
Awakened Qualities, pp. 24–28, Street Magic; and Augmented
Qualities, pp. 20–22, Augmentation).
Other Positive Qualities: Astral Sight, Biocompatibility,
Double Jointed, High Pain Tolerance, Magic Resistance, Natural
Hardening, Natural Immunity, Quick Healer, Resistance to
Pathogens/Toxins, Spell/Spirit Knack, Toughness
Other Negative Qualities: Allergy, Asthma, Albinism,
Biosystem Overstress, Disease Carrier, Gene Freak, Low Pain
Tolerance, Nano Intolerance, Reduced (Sense), Sensitive System,
Uncontrolled Metastasis, Weak Immune System

jbearwillis April 16th, 2012 11:36 AM

Mathias on that same page, in the paragraph below, it says this

(After a metatype is chosen, transforming the character into
a changeling is as simple as choosing one of the 3 levels of the
Changeling Positive quality (next column).)

it says Metatype , but does not say metavariant. what I read is the only ones that can take them are metatypes with the changeling quality, Metavariants and a Non-Metahuman sapient if a gamemaster allows it. Correct me if I'm wrong in the way it's stated.

cryptoknight April 16th, 2012 11:39 AM

jbear,

If Shadowrun rules didn't conflict themselves in the same book, well it wouldn't be Shadowrun would it ;)

jbearwillis April 16th, 2012 01:31 PM

LOL Yes I agree, Why do they have to write them as stereo instructions.