Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Authoring Kit (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Tags for racial bonuses (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58813)

Duggan July 21st, 2017 10:17 AM

Tags for racial bonuses

So, between the section in the wiki on Editor support and the examples in the 4E project, I get the impression that the best way to set up a racial bonus for skills is to set up tags. What's the best way to handle this and allow for a larger range of values? In 4E, it's a straight +2, but for the game I'm working on, the bonuses range from +1 to +3.

Should I have three different forms of SkillBonus, say SkillBonus1, SkillBonus2, and SkillBonus3? Is there a better way to set this up to allow users to readily modify which bonuses get applied, and for me to extract that data so that they don't have to keep the Description in lockstep?

Mathias July 21st, 2017 10:27 AM

You'll need to give me more information about the game rules you're implementing.

If you've got arbitrary bonus amounts, then I'd just use a script. Tags may be better for some things, but when you're multiplying the tag count by such large numbers, if you need +1 through +3 for every skill, that's no longer a practical option.

Duggan July 21st, 2017 11:04 AM

It's the Planet Mercenary game. Each of the races gets a handful of bonuses to their skill ranks (except humans, as usual). I do currently have it in an Eval script. I'll keep it that way then.

RavenX July 21st, 2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggan (Post 253070)
It's the Planet Mercenary game. Each of the races gets a handful of bonuses to their skill ranks (except humans, as usual). I do currently have it in an Eval script. I'll keep it that way then.

Duggan,

Have you tried setting up candidate expressions for the skill bonuses? You can have a <thing> on a race tab through a table dynamic that adds the bonuses through user choices. Then you can rig hero lab to "freeze" those selectors out when you switch to Advancement mode locking down the character's choices...

Duggan July 21st, 2017 03:37 PM

That would be extremely useful when I refine the Command Packages, where there are those either-or choices. Do you have a suggestion for how to go about it? Would that be a gizmo?

RavenX July 21st, 2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggan (Post 253089)
That would be extremely useful when I refine the Command Packages, where there are those either-or choices. Do you have a suggestion for how to go about it? Would that be a gizmo?

Gizmo no. Components.core file, the "UserSelect" component. You just add that component's compref to whatever compset needs it, then add the chooser portal for it into the tab's pick shown portals. Its pretty easy to integrate into the data actually because they already include everything you need in the authoring kit for it.

RavenX July 21st, 2017 03:47 PM

Compref reference:

Code:

<compset
    id="Merit">
    <compref component="Merit"/>
    <compref component="Trait"/>
    <compref component="SpecialTab"/>
    <compref component="CanAdvance"/>
    <compref component="Dots"/>
    <compref component="UserSelect"/>
    </compset>

This is the portal, if you need to use two of them, just change the 1s to 2s and add the second portal. Then in the positioning script you rig them up where you want them.

Code:

<portal
    id="choose1"
    style="menuNormal">
    <menu_things
      field="usrChosen1"
      component="none"
      usepicksfield="usrSource1"
      candidatefield="usrCandid1">
      </menu_things>
    </portal>

Honestly its a lot easier than dealing with gizmos. I just spent the last week dealing with power armor gizmos.