Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - d20 System (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Changing experience table (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63162)

midashand September 8th, 2019 06:59 AM

Changing experience table

Hi Folks,

First off, I apologize if this is documented somewhere, but after a good amount of time searching, I've come up blank.

Second, thanks in advance for your help.

OK, I'm playing in a homebrew campaign based off of DnD3.5. Many of the home brew things I can take care of in the adjustments tab, but the DM uses a pretty off-the-wall way of doing XP and leveling, which uses a different XP table. As of yet, I haven't found a way to change this anywhere.

Can anyone point me to the location in the .dat files that controls this? I've looked through several files, and I find plenty of entries that reference the player's level, but not any that set the XP table values.

Yes, I have already made a copy of the d20 system files specifically for this, so I won't be overwriting anything.

Cheers!

cshadow133 September 15th, 2019 11:37 AM

I didn't find a way to modify the experience tables with a game I played, but a DM didn't want to deal with level adjustments and such with player character levels (playing a Gnome 1/2 Celestial). Levels in Rogue go up from 1-20 on the normal experience chat (even though at 1st level rogue I would be like 4th level character or something). So I just kept a note on the character sheet and when it matched the normal experience progression, I gave my character in HL the sufficient experience to gain a level (even though it may show me at level 11 going to 12 in HL, but in this DMs game I was going from 8-9.
-Shadow

Sendric September 16th, 2019 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midashand (Post 281955)
Hi Folks,

First off, I apologize if this is documented somewhere, but after a good amount of time searching, I've come up blank.

Second, thanks in advance for your help.

OK, I'm playing in a homebrew campaign based off of DnD3.5. Many of the home brew things I can take care of in the adjustments tab, but the DM uses a pretty off-the-wall way of doing XP and leveling, which uses a different XP table. As of yet, I haven't found a way to change this anywhere.

Can anyone point me to the location in the .dat files that controls this? I've looked through several files, and I find plenty of entries that reference the player's level, but not any that set the XP table values.

Yes, I have already made a copy of the d20 system files specifically for this, so I won't be overwriting anything.

Cheers!

The .dat files located in the d20 folder are legacy files held over from a time before LW started hiding those files. They are completely ignored by HL now so modifying them won't do you any good.

I'm not aware of a way to modify the XP table. I would recommend keeping track of XP in a journal log then adding the correct amount of XP to the portfolio whenever you level up.

Lj Stephens September 17th, 2019 06:27 AM

Hey folks, let me reach out and see if there's a way to do this. Thanks!

midashand September 17th, 2019 07:02 AM

Well, that's unfortunate. Thanks for the info, folks.

Lj Stephens September 17th, 2019 07:58 AM

Unfortunately, there isn't currently a way to change the XP tables in d20. You CAN just give yourself levels when you need to though. Sorry about that!