Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Quick Update on Hero Lab Online from GenCon (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59009)

Noven August 20th, 2017 04:08 PM

I'm guessing that it is accessed through a browser, thus works on linux? =)

EightBitz August 20th, 2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noven (Post 254496)
I'm guessing that it is accessed through a browser, thus works on linux? =)

If they're advertising that it's going to work on mobile devices, no reason it shouldn't work on Linux.

Merion August 21st, 2017 05:14 AM

My question:

how does the Realm Works interaction work with HLO? Can the online version produce portfolio files for RW? And can I jump to the webapp from RW as I can now to the desktop version?

karpomatic August 21st, 2017 05:58 AM

Will the desktop HL be phased out for the web based program or will Starfinder come to the desktop as well? I really don't want to be forced to move to an online only platform but I don't want to be left behind either.

nightpanda2810 August 21st, 2017 06:35 AM

I REALLY hope this isn't web-app only. I like having the software available, and recently got an iPad because of how perfect the app is at the table.

Noven August 21st, 2017 09:39 AM

Offline usage is essential because all the LGS here lock down their wifi for only employees.

Kendall-DM August 21st, 2017 10:07 AM

Due to the number of players I have to manage in my games, I don't really have web access when I am running them. So, like others, I really hope there is an offline mode and is not web application only.

Quintain August 21st, 2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightpanda2810 (Post 254517)
I REALLY hope this isn't web-app only. I like having the software available, and recently got an iPad because of how perfect the app is at the table.

If I would hazard a guess (and this is only a guess), I would say that it would work a bit like a cloud service with sync'ing upon making a successful connection. Once sync'd you'd be able to work offline like normal. Then, once you are done, you make a successful connection and then re-sync any changed files/portfolios.

This would work similar to how they tried to integrate dropbox into the desktop version of Hero lab.

I can understand the nominal fee to keep cloud servers in service.

How will this work with things like Development environments?

One last question: Can multiple people access the same environment server-side.

nightpanda2810 August 21st, 2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintain (Post 254529)
If I would hazard a guess (and this is only a guess), I would say that it would work a bit like a cloud service with sync'ing upon making a successful connection. Once sync'd you'd be able to work offline like normal. Then, once you are done, you make a successful connection and then re-sync any changed files/portfolios.

I'm assuming/hoping this is how things will work moving forward.

Quintain August 21st, 2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightpanda2810 (Post 254530)
I'm assuming/hoping this is how things will work moving forward.

Well, if they are smart about it, they will have an option within the HLO Client to "work offline" like e-mail clients.