Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Elven branched spear and half elves (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62105)

Aellonaeron February 12th, 2019 12:59 AM

Elven branched spear and half elves

The elven branched spear in its lines says: Elves treat elven branched spears as martial weapons

Half elves have the following in their description: Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race.

therefore Half elves treat the EBS as a martial weapon, yet Hero Lab does not allow me to take it as a halfelf fighter, without taking the EWP. Is this an oversight, or is there another reason?

Minous February 12th, 2019 05:24 AM

wait... halflings have nothing to do with elves.

Rone February 12th, 2019 05:56 AM

As in, a halfling is the D&D/Pathfinder equivalent of a hobbit, while a half-elf has an elven and a human parent. Now... a half-halfling is born of one halfling parent and a casaba melon. Rather useless in gameplay, but quite delicious.

Dami February 12th, 2019 10:52 PM

The Ling is a fish. [Wikipedia: The common ling, also known as the white ling or simply the ling, is a large member of the family Lotidae, a group of cod-like fishes. It resembles the related rocklings but it is much larger and has a single barbel.] Halflings are fish people!

@Aellonaeron - I'm sure you have the idea of "Weapon Familiarity" wrong. Yes, Half-Elves count as elves for racial effects, but being able to use a weapon is not an effect. If you think it should be, you need to show that this is what Paizo intends, or provide an example of a Paizo source that allows this, or simply put in a bug report.

Rone February 13th, 2019 04:59 AM

Halflings are fish people?! Then... then... Tolkien WAS Lovecraft! MY MIND iS BEING TORN APART BY THE FORBIDDEN TRUTH OF IT ALL!

Aaron February 13th, 2019 06:23 AM

Ia! Ia!

Aellonaeron February 13th, 2019 09:46 AM

Sorry. I caught the first autocorrect, not the second. I meant half elf fighter, not halfling

Rone February 13th, 2019 12:15 PM

The apology is mine, Aellonaeron. I figured that's what you meant but I felt compelled to write the word casaba. I blame the hypnotism show I attended the night before.

Minous February 13th, 2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aellonaeron (Post 275792)
Sorry. I caught the first autocorrect, not the second. I meant half elf fighter, not halfling

Take a look at the race description, its fairly clear that half-elves don't qualify for that weapon. Elves have a Weapon Familiarity listed under their race, while half-elves do not.

Aellonaeron February 14th, 2019 05:39 AM

Minous. Weapon familiarity has nothing to do with it.

The text says: Elves treat elven branched spears as martial weapons, not elves with weapon familiarity treat this as martial weapon.

Therefore all elves, whether they have weapon familiarity or not treat it as martial weapons.

As the description for half Elves states: "Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race." all half Elves treat Elven Branched spear as a martial weapon.

Weapon familiarity has to do with proficiency, not with which weapon class they count a weapon as.