Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Setting File Authors, please take note... (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57722)

CapedCrusader February 16th, 2017 05:01 PM

Setting File Authors, please take note...

We are instituting a new programming standard for Edges with background code (eval scripts).
One of our big issues has always been that initially there was no way to turn Edges on and off in the Savage Worlds game system, so Hero Lab's architecture was set up that way. As time went on, there were some Settings that allowed Edges to be acquired in ways that allowed them to be equipped (or not). The first was the Fantasy Companion with magic items, but others soon followed.

At the time, we did not want to force the re-coding of all the Edges, so we set up an architecture that changed the live state of Edges in order to give us the lever we needed. Well, down the road things got more complex, with the Sci-Fi Companion's modification system and similar changes, and this caused timing issues.

So, we've decided the time has come to bite the bullet and re-code. It's not a huge change, it's already in use on a few Edges, like Berserk and Thief. What needs to happen, is that we need to start adding a wrapper around any code in an eval script on an Edge. It'll give the software the ability to turn the effects of the Edge on and off in the background. Now, the Edge still won't show up on the In-Play tab unless the User Activation is enabled. Here's the code that needs to be added:

Code:

if (field[abilActive].value <> 0) then
        <existing code block>
        endif

This will need to be done with any Edge that has background code in the existing Setting files, and also any future Setting file work.

Now, also in relation to this, we will be removing the "EdgeWep" compset definition as it won't be needed anymore. Those Edges that were changed to EdgeWep can be changed back once we get this update rolled out. We'll actually remove it in a future update to give Setting file authors time to make this particular change.

It'll be simpler with fewer timing collisions once this change is complete. Thanks for understanding.

zarlor February 16th, 2017 05:23 PM

I'll start reworking all of my data files shortly and getting the uploaded and in the updater as soon as I get a chance. Then I may need to find some time to do Weird War I... :/

Paragon February 17th, 2017 06:09 PM

The only functional one I have is Broken Earth; will this throw an error when it goes through if you've not got the wrapper on it? If so, it might be easier for me to just wait and see what breaks (since I'm not clear what will) and fix in place.

CapedCrusader February 18th, 2017 11:37 AM

It won't cause any errors if this is not present. The system just won't be able to turn the Edge effect on and off when it needs to.

Paragon February 19th, 2017 11:50 AM

Oh, poo. I guess I'll have to see what all I did eval scripts on, then. I've only got 33 edges in there, so I guess it won't be that damn big a deal even if I used those on all of them (and that's unlikely).

Edit: Oh, just to make sure: this is only on Edges. right?

CapedCrusader February 19th, 2017 01:33 PM

Yes, this only affects Edges, and only those with eval scripts.

Paragon February 19th, 2017 04:51 PM

As it turns out, a fair number of the ones I have in BE use eval scripts, but like I said, there's only 33 of them, so its not that big a deal.

Paragon February 22nd, 2017 09:18 AM

I forgot to ask, when is the new version where this change is needed rolling out?

CapedCrusader February 22nd, 2017 11:47 AM

I would say in the next week or so.

zarlor February 22nd, 2017 11:47 AM

Just an FYI, I've got the change in for all of my data files and I'll be posting updates for all of them within the next few days, hopefully.