Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Online Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Sigh... (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60947)

qcgreywolf July 19th, 2018 03:53 PM

Sigh...

Now, this may just be a case of "wrong place at the wrong time" but this is exactly why I am unwilling to spend my hard earned income on an online Hero Lab subscription model.

I broke down and decided to try out the Hero Lab online tonight while sitting in a hotel, and the service is down...

As my groups GM, what would have happened if we were playing tonight? Just "wing it" and guess what was on our character sheets? Log everything down so everyone can update their character sheets later? What if all my encounters had been planned with Starfinder Online?

Ugh. It is so hard running gaming groups whose members are in different states. It complicates everything and makes tactics and suggestions that work at a gaming table impractical over great distances.

I am sure my situation is a minority one, but not able to work on my campaigns on an airplane or when a server randomly decides to be down is a deal breaker.

I was really looking forward to trying the service and having my mind changed....

:confused:

Joe July 19th, 2018 03:55 PM

You definitely got unlucky (as I did). Please see my post on the downtime...

Sorry about screwing you over tonight!

Joe July 19th, 2018 04:00 PM

For a little context, we announce planned downtime several days in advance, and usually plan it for Monday/Tuesday mornings where few people are gaming.

This update was not supposed to cause any service disruption, so we did not announce it in advance or schedule it for a Monday morning.

We were clearly wrong about that assumption, and will be making sure that this kind of issue doesn't cause any more disruptions in the future.

qcgreywolf July 19th, 2018 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info, Joe. I am still an avid user of both Hero Lab Classic and Realm Works, so no change there. I posted a while ago on my random thoughts on how the whole world is going towards "Software as a service" model, and I still hate the idea.

I don't know if I am turning into a curmudgeonly old man that just hates new fangled things, or if not owning anything anymore is a 'good' thing. Meh, I'm going to feed my inner grumpy dwarf and go find a pint of a cool, alcoholic beverage. Preferably one with a little taste and character.

Cheers!

Joe July 19th, 2018 04:35 PM

I believe everything is back up. We're very sorry for the trouble tonight!

Unseelie July 19th, 2018 09:58 PM

It is back up, but it is also somewhat broken. There is no longer an option to create new NPCs, just PCs.

Ryan F July 20th, 2018 06:45 AM

Hello,

We apologize for the frustration and loss of this feature with the latest deployment. We have our team working to identify what went wrong, and how to fix it right now and will have this function restored ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback again guys!

Joe July 20th, 2018 09:38 AM

NPC creation is enabled again, just give your browser a refresh and they should be back up and running. Sorry about the inconvenience!