Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Custom Views Limit (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53376)

Fox Lee July 11th, 2015 03:20 AM

Custom Views Limit

I was very excited to see custom views becoming available. Finally, I thought, I can replace those pesky "Book 1", "Book 2" custom tags in my multi-part adventure path with a structure actually designed for that purpose! Good times.

...Or it would have been, if I didn't only have 7 custom views to cover 10 books :\

Can I ask, is there an important reason for that limit - like maybe it takes up more server space than it would seem from my end? Any chance it could be higher than 7?

I know there may be a good reason, it's just that it kind of stings to have that limit if it's pretty much arbitrary. I'm sure I'm not the only GM trying to run a group through more than seven interconnected adventures (actually it was twelve at first, but I cut two from the official version).

Silveras July 11th, 2015 05:32 AM

I am pretty sure this was asked and answered previously.. when the custom views first appeared.

If I recall correctly, at least part of the answer was because of the practical limit of how many icons could be expected to be displayed at once in the UI (the ribbon, for example).

Fox Lee July 12th, 2015 12:26 AM

I understand the limit with regards to how many could fit in the ribbon, but I'm strictly talking about the number you can make, which I can't see being an interface issue. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but since there is a child window for managing custom views, that could scroll to accommodate whatever is necessary.

The only answer I can find regarding the number of views we can create, searching the forums, seems to be along the lines of "it's for your own good". I don't find that very convincing, considering the complexity of Realm Works is its main strength, so I'm poking in hopes there might be some more practical reason.

Vargr July 12th, 2015 01:57 AM

Well, I agree - let the mental capacity of the user limit the number (and of course - technical reasons).

Acenoid July 17th, 2015 03:36 AM

I think they added the platform first, to gather some experience and to see how users are working with it, before putting more complexity than necessary into this feature.

Farling July 17th, 2015 12:33 PM

Views are only a subset of all the topics available in the world topic list. They aren't really designed for use as full content management. The category hierarchy is a good way to organise the books.

I have a single top-level category for each book. I then only put into a separate view the parts of the current book(s) which are relevant to the current part of the campaign.

Fox Lee July 26th, 2015 04:22 AM

In my case, using containing topics won't do the trick, because the books themselves aren't suited to be topics, and there are plenty of things that appear in more than one book. Views are definitely the "correct" way to handle it.