Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Starfinder announced (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55925)

Xorial May 29th, 2016 10:04 AM

Starfinder announced

Starfinder RPG announced. Seeing as this will be a stand-alone RPG, will Hero Lab end up making a separate setting rules set for it?

ShadowChemosh May 29th, 2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xorial (Post 230318)
Starfinder RPG announced. Seeing as this will be a stand-alone RPG, will Hero Lab end up making a separate setting rules set for it?

I almost posted yesterday when this came out.

I see no value in a separate game system. It uses ALL pathfinder rules meaning I can have a normal Half-Orc Wizard in Starfinder. All the same races exist and are usable. Making a separate game system in HL would defeat half the benefit of Starfinder actually as its 100% backwards compatible to Pathfinder rules.

I am pretty excited for this actually especially that the first Starfinder AP will launch next GenCon with the core rule book. :D :)

Colen May 29th, 2016 10:47 AM

We're intending to support Starfinder, although we weren't at PaizoCon, so we know less than the people there at this point. :)

ShadowChemosh May 29th, 2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colen (Post 230323)
We're intending to support Starfinder, although we weren't at PaizoCon, so we know less than the people there at this point. :)

Nice!

I just get these strange ideas of Demons with Lazer Guns! :D

Krothos May 29th, 2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 230326)
Nice!

I just get these strange ideas of Demons with Lazer Guns! :D

And currently playing Doom....

ShadowChemosh May 30th, 2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krothos (Post 230332)
And currently playing Doom....

Are you saying your currently playing Doom or I am? The last time I played doom it was installed on 3.5inch floppies and computers still had Math-Co-processors. :)

DMG May 30th, 2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 230363)
computers still had Math-Co-processors. :)

Hey, I remember them! They were the ducks nuts back in the day!

charlieluce May 30th, 2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 230319)
I see no value in a separate game system. It uses ALL pathfinder rules meaning I can have a normal Half-Orc Wizard in Starfinder. All the same races exist and are usable. Making a separate game system in HL would defeat half the benefit of Starfinder actually as its 100% backwards compatible to Pathfinder rules.

According to the developer posting on the blog discussion today, that's not the case. From that description, the Pathfinder -> Starfinder compatibility is going to be more like the "you can convert 3.5 stuff to Pathfinder pretty easily" situation; there are going to be explicit differences (AC has been mentioned).

rob May 30th, 2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieluce (Post 230381)
According to the developer posting on the blog discussion today, that's not the case. From that description, the Pathfinder -> Starfinder compatibility is going to be more like the "you can convert 3.5 stuff to Pathfinder pretty easily" situation; there are going to be explicit differences (AC has been mentioned).

This is the understanding we got out of a short briefing from Paizo. Our expectation is that there will be a lot of similarities, but there will also be some stark differences to better tailor the game to the needs of the SciFi setting. For a sense of the adaptations we're anticipating (we don't know any details at this point), look at some of the changes Wizards and Fantasy Flight made when adapting existing systems to Star Wars. So we are currently expecting that there will be an independent game system within Hero Lab to allow us to optimally support the deviations introduced in StarFinder.

Xorial May 31st, 2016 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 230383)
This is the understanding we got out of a short briefing from Paizo. Our expectation is that there will be a lot of similarities, but there will also be some stark differences to better tailor the game to the needs of the SciFi setting. For a sense of the adaptations we're anticipating (we don't know any details at this point), look at some of the changes Wizards and Fantasy Flight made when adapting existing systems to Star Wars. So we are currently expecting that there will be an independent game system within Hero Lab to allow us to optimally support the deviations introduced in StarFinder.

This is what I was thinking would have to happen. Personally, I would rather it would be this way. Less hacking of the system to shoe-horn a mechanic into it.