Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Best Map Maker to go with Realm Works? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=46374)

jerrycnh November 6th, 2013 06:42 PM

Best Map Maker to go with Realm Works?

So I'm using the imminent release of Realm Works as an excuse to take my old game world of twelve years, which has been abused and converted through three systems and mangled by tons of history, and kick it out the window in favor of a new world. And I've decided since the Realm Works money is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm eager to start worldbuilding that I can productively use the time by doing some overland mapmaking. Trouble is, not sure which mapmaker I want to use.

Here's what I know:

I like the idea of a map that I can overlay a grid on, make each grid spot a coordinate, and then make child maps zoomed in on each coordinate to describe features. This would allow me to declare each hex (or square) to constitute one day's journey by foot, 1/3rd day's journey by mount, and give me good pacing regarding how far away any point is from any other point in the game. Hexographer seems great for that, but it has a few minor problems that are making me less satisifed, most significant being that I want something with maybe 10% more detail in it's implementation.

What are you guys using or planning on using?

DMG November 6th, 2013 07:00 PM

Campaign Cartographer is good, even if it is a little bit expensive.

No idea how it'll work in with Realm Works.

Zaphod Beebledoc November 7th, 2013 03:20 AM

Campaign Cartographer

Pricey, but you can create some stunning maps. Plenty of add-ons.

You can create world maps, city maps, dungeon maps, starship maps and more. Also has a support forum.

Hexographer is a Java based app that runs in the browser. It creates Hex based maps. It is free with the option to upgrade.

Dungeonographer is also a Java based app. For creating dungeons and medieval type building. Again, has the option to upgrade.

Maidhc O Casain November 7th, 2013 05:32 AM

I use Campaign Cartographer almost exclusively. Almost all of my games are via forums these days, so I convert my maps to .jpg or .png for that. I know RW will handle both of those formats.

Mmurphy November 7th, 2013 03:50 PM

I too use Campaign Cartographer. Also, if you look on you-tube for "joe sweeney mapping" you can find some quick tutorial videos.

Note: I have no affiliation with Campaign Cartographer nor with Joe Sweeney

AEIOU November 7th, 2013 04:08 PM

My recommendation is to look at what folks are making over in the Map-Making community on G+. https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...74940532146183 should get you there.

BoomerET November 7th, 2013 04:08 PM

Another nod to CC and the Annuals.

rob November 7th, 2013 04:22 PM

In terms of raw power and capability, Campaign Cartographer is excellent. The caveat to keep in mind is that it's not cheap - far from it - and there is a very steep learning curve involved. So adopting CC means a non-trivial investment of both money and time. If all you want is 10% more than Hexographer/Dungeonographer, you might find that CC is way more than you bargained for.

I miss Dundjinni, which struck a reasonable balance between power and complexity for my tastes. Alas, it's gone the way of the Dodo...

The suggestion above regarding the map-making community on G+ is a great one.

thedarkelf007 November 7th, 2013 09:10 PM

I love using Campaign Cartographer myself. Though I really need to sit down and figure out how to use it again.

There is also Astrosythisis for 3D star charts, not that I have used this alot either, but it is possible to create a star chart from an excel file so you could tinker with it and use positioning from real world or which ever made up universe it is in.

Chemlak November 8th, 2013 12:09 AM

A while ago I rinsed an insane amount of money on Campaign Cartographer and the majority of the expansions. It is, as others have said, excellent, expensive, and tricky to master. I consider it to be well worth the price I paid, though. The only downside is that you pretty much have to use it to maintain your skills. The end result is truly amazing maps, though.