Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Online Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Down right Mad!!! (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60244)

Toblakai April 4th, 2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 265192)
It was mentioned for those that have multiple HLC licenses that in the future HLO will allow for multiple signons at the same time. This would allow a person to let "family" members in the same house use HLO at the same time.

I don't think we will see that feature until Pathfinder gets moved over to HLO though.

I honestly hope they don't offer extra licenses. With an online model it is really not needed, unless you are trying to steal from LWD by buying 1 copy and distribute licenses to the rest of your gaming group.

ShadowChemosh April 4th, 2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toblakai (Post 265198)
I honestly hope they don't offer extra licenses. With an online model it is really not needed, unless you are trying to steal from LWD by buying 1 copy and distribute licenses to the rest of your gaming group.

I am repeating info from the Official HLO FAQ. Of course some people will steal or find a way to exploit it. But many others want it for using in the correct way which is to not be required to have multiple accounts for people living in the same house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLO FAQ
Q: How will my Hero Lab Classic secondary licenses transfer to Hero Lab Online?
A: In Hero Lab Classic, secondary licenses allow users to access their content on multiple devices. Hero Lab Online will employ a similar concept, allowing simultaneous access to your account from multiple devices (e.g. multiple family members). Migration from Classic to Online will convert your secondary licenses to simultaneous devices in the new environment.

daplunk April 4th, 2018 09:55 PM

I think that's just an extension of the HLC history. They sold extra licenses and so many people have purchased them that they want to offer some value to the people that transfer over.

I just hope they update their terms and agreements to allow the DM to purchase the licenses and share with their table. That just makes sense given a lot of DMs will purchase the technology they want their players to use at their table.

Dervish April 7th, 2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toblakai (Post 265198)

no we are asking for concurrent licensing I know i covered this in another post but they could make a group product make it cost 60 dollars to purchase and 9 dollars a month for continues access for a group of six (25 percent discount on access.) the system logs the email addresses you want to assign and only those email addresses can access. which is a legitimate way to deal with sort of thing ... you don't believe me look at adobe, google,dropbox,and microsoft they all offer similar options.

BJ April 9th, 2018 04:59 PM

While I have no firm answers for you at the moment, we are currently discussing group licensing and how we might handle it. If we do implement it, it will be down the road a ways. :)

zarberg April 18th, 2018 01:20 AM

I have no problems with an online subscription model ... if online works. I play Starfinder once every two weeks on Tuesday night, and last night I couldn't use my character. We had a late outage notification, and zero explanation of why. If we're paying for an online model, I'd like to see a certain level of online service.

jlong05 April 18th, 2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarberg (Post 265661)
If we're paying for an online model, I'd like to see a certain level of online service.

I agree with this statement. Paying for online means that certain usage levels should be expected. Outages and planned maintenance should be well communicated as well.

BJ April 18th, 2018 09:26 AM

I absolutely understand your frustration Zarberg! You can learn more about what happened on Tuesday here.

While this was an isolated incident, once we get offline view properly implemented it should help eliminate some of the frustration for maintenance times. Also, be sure to keep an eye on our announcements area as we do post when we will be doing our scheduled maintenance.

Jamz April 23rd, 2018 11:09 AM

As you guys move more and more into the "Online" model, I hope you guys grow and learn. Hopefully we'll start hearing words like Load Balancing, Disaster Recovery, and Multi-site High Availability.

I don't necessarily mind monthly "server" fees but in this day and age, I don't want to hear about maintenance windows. We're spoiled now and 0 downtime is somewhat expected.

I know this was a one off with your provider but still "avoidable".

PS Please don't take this as an angry post, I'm not. Read this as a friendly post as encouragement and hope that your experience will be growing over the next year as you manage your 24/7 server farm. :)

EightBitz April 23rd, 2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 265831)
As you guys move more and more into the "Online" model, I hope you guys grow and learn. Hopefully we'll start hearing words like Load Balancing, Disaster Recovery, and Multi-site High Availability.

I don't necessarily mind monthly "server" fees but in this day and age, I don't want to hear about maintenance windows. We're spoiled now and 0 downtime is somewhat expected.

I know this was a one off with your provider but still "avoidable".

PS Please don't take this as an angry post, I'm not. Read this as a friendly post as encouragement and hope that your experience will be growing over the next year as you manage your 24/7 server farm. :)

Even with load-balancing and high-availability, up-time is guaranteed up to a certain number of nines. Let's say it's five nines, 99.999% up-time. There's still a 0.001% chance of things going down.

Disaster recovery, if we're separating that out from multi-site high-availability, have recovery-point and recovery-time parameters, meaning that things won't necessarily be back up instantly, and won't necessarily be back up with up-to-the-second data, or even up-to-the-minute.

This shouldn't have happened. They've admitted that. They've isolated the issue. They've addressed it.