Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Creating a default loadout? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=45587)

zarlor August 30th, 2013 10:07 AM

Creating a default loadout?

I just noticed a problem in WWII, and in Weird Wars Rome that I'm working on now, where depending on your Faction (or Group, however you set it up) will determine your starting Gear. If I Bootstrap that gear then when I create the character with that Faction I get the gear, but I don't get any way to remove or otherwise modify the gear. It appears to be in a permanent state (which explains to me the issue that one of the other folks here was having with adding a new item not stacking with one of the original, bootstrapped, items.)

Having run into something similar with vehicles I thought "Aha! I know what to do here. Gizmo it!" Unfortunately, though, in order for that to work I need to set a Containerreq at Init/2000 of TRUE, but if I do that it won't compile giving me the error "Thing'grpWRHasta' - Condition test must occur prior to all rules and eval scripts, including on components (Initialize, 1000)". However if I then set it to 1000 when I load up that Group on the character I get the error "Live state of gizmo 'LoadOut' is being tested before live state of parent pick 'grpWRHasta' is resolved" and none of the gear shows up on the sheet. I'm at a loss how to handle this conundrum.

jbearwillis August 30th, 2013 02:40 PM

It works that way in all hero lab game systems. If you bootstrap weapons, equipment, etc. you are not able to modify said equipment or you can't sell it either. That's why in my High-Space files I have them get them for free. Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Savage Worlds, etc. It works the same way.

zarlor August 30th, 2013 08:15 PM

Well, no cost is easy enough only because the main settings it effects are ones where the costs are "Mil", essentially free. So easy enough to "fix" but it makes it a real pain as a player. Nobody has a workaround for that? I figured the Gizmo route was the way to go but the timing is all wrong. I wonder if I can bootstrap something that happens later and have the bootstrapped thing do the gizmo method... I may have to play with it but if Pathfinder folks don't have a workaround I doubt I've got much hope of figuring it out.

So, Lone Wolf folk, any chance of fitting a change in to handle a basic equipment load if I can't find a workaround?

Mathias September 4th, 2013 09:19 AM

This is already on the to-do list - we need the same capability in order to properly handle the equipment kits in Pathfinder and in 4ed, and to handle the PACKS character creation system in Shadowrun.

In bootstrap.1st, you can see some <autoadd> elements - the new capability will work sort-of like that, where an item is added to the character, and can then be changed or deleted. The change that needs to happen is to set it up so that individual picks can bring autoadds along with them - not just the autoadd elements in bootstrap.1st. We also need to be able to set up a loose connection between the picks added this way and the picks that added them - that way, if the user changes their mind about what to add, the gear is deleted for them (and the gear from the new thing added for them), but they're also allowed to sell the item during play, or lose it (delete it without getting any cash back).

zarlor September 4th, 2013 10:07 AM

No doubt it's a bit... complicated to handle it all programmatically, for sure. I think for now I need to go back and modify the data files to completely remove all of the current equipment bootstraps I've done, though, until that change can be implemented. I definitely look forward to it, though!