Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Alternity (user-created) (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Arms and Equipment (Stardrive) (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=45168)

blzbob August 6th, 2013 10:14 PM

Arms and Equipment (Stardrive)

I'm going to be running a Stardrive campaign soon and I know you have a lot on your plate. If I get all the data entered, do you want a copy of the file? I really want to help you. You're doing so much and I don't want to just take without giving something back.

evildmguy August 7th, 2013 10:15 AM

If you are willing to share it, I would accept it!

I started looking at Dark*Matter A&E but found some quirks that I hadn't seen before. Instead of giving a step bonus, they have equipment that gives a rank bonus. Now, the mechanism is mostly there to do this but I wasn't sure if that's the way to go.

Have you seen anything like this in the Star*Drive A&E? Or has it been step bonus, if anything?

Thanks!

edg

blzbob August 7th, 2013 09:01 PM

I just started looking at it for the first time in over a decade so I'm not sure. As I start to enter things I can let you know if I run into anything weird.

blzbob August 14th, 2013 09:20 PM

How do I make a weapon one- or two-handed for weren but two-handed for everyone else?

evildmguy August 15th, 2013 12:56 PM

Yeah I have been looking at equipment and I think I might have to redo some things. However, I don't want to negate what you, or anyone, has entered. So, I'm still looking at how I want to do this.

So, the answer is that at the moment, you can't, except in the description. However, you might add tags to it that can be checked later.

I know, not the best answer. Sorry.

jbearwillis August 15th, 2013 02:23 PM

I think there is a way to check for a race tag and if it's present it will treat the weapon as one handed and if it's not present it will treat it as 2 handed.

I have it working but the way I had to do it - evildmguy will have to add a tag to the Weren race such as the following - <tag group="Race" tag="Weren"/>

because I haven't figured out how to add a tag that isn't already defined, except to go into his data files, if we do that when he up dates, it will erase what we have done so he will have to do it. I did add it to the Weren race to test it out and to see if it would work and it does.

after that is done you would need to go into the editor and make your weapon and set your weapon to one handed and then make the following Eval script as follows

Phase: Traits Priority: 5000

if (hero.tagis[Race.Weren] < 1) then
perform hero.assign[Hero.Hand]
endif

then save

If the tag is set up on the Weren race, it looks to see if the race is chosen and if it is the said weapon works 1 handed if any other race is chosen it becomes a 2 handed weapon.

I checked it out already and it works but I had to add the tag above to the race thing data file under Weren to get it to work.

if there is an easier way to do it let me know.

Hope this helps

blzbob August 15th, 2013 08:00 PM

So I'll just keep entering the data and I'll make notes of the ones that require special tags. Once you add them, like jbearwillis said you would have, then I can update my files.

evildmguy August 20th, 2013 04:06 AM

Okay, sorry for the lag. I think I'm set up to look at this again.

Now it's just going to take a bit for me to get back up to speed!

I will say that I will probably use Species, instead of Race, to keep with the Alternity nomenclature, unless I'm convinced others.

edit: Unless it already exists as race. As I said, I need to get back up to speed!

Thanks!

edg

blzbob August 20th, 2013 08:31 AM

I think you should keep everything consistent. Species is the way to go if that's how you have things set up already.

jbearwillis August 20th, 2013 09:19 AM

LOL, I was just giving an example - it's your game files what ever you need to do. I was just showing what needed to be done. the tag could be anything you want.

blzbob August 22nd, 2013 09:25 AM

So I'm adding warheads at this point and many of them have an area of effect. I don't see an easy way to add that in other than just putting it in the comments section. Is this something that can be added to the weapons and the ammo tabs? It would be nice to have this print out on the sheet if possible.

evildmguy August 31st, 2013 09:51 AM

Okay, there is a race tag already. However, I still need to set up equipment for one or two handed use, to give weren the ability to use less hands. And potentially for other races to use more.

The tag is race.racHuman, or race.racWeren for the race items.

Thanks!

edg

evildmguy August 31st, 2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blzbob (Post 163882)
So I'm adding warheads at this point and many of them have an area of effect. I don't see an easy way to add that in other than just putting it in the comments section. Is this something that can be added to the weapons and the ammo tabs? It would be nice to have this print out on the sheet if possible.

Okay, for this, I might just add Area of Effect to Ammunition. Is that what you were thinking?

But, yes, in the meantime, it would be a note or in the description until I can get it added.

Thanks!

edg

blzbob August 31st, 2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evildmguy (Post 164535)
Okay, for this, I might just add Area of Effect to Ammunition. Is that what you were thinking?

But, yes, in the meantime, it would be a note or in the description until I can get it added.

Thanks!

edg

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I thought it might be easier for the player if the information printed out for them.

blzbob September 1st, 2013 12:57 PM

There's a lot of things in here that can be modified for a price (clothing has several options, as does ammo). What I've been doing is just adding each version in individually but I was looking at Gizmos to see if that would be a better way of doing this. The problem is that I really don't know what I'm doing with them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can implement them? I have a feeling it would save me a lot of time entering and it would be cleaner for the user.

evildmguy September 3rd, 2013 04:04 AM

I have not worked with gizmos before but I am checking it out to see if it will work for you.

Thanks!

edg

blzbob September 3rd, 2013 06:26 AM

Thanks. I've looked at them and I'm really confused. I don't really know how to do any of the scripts and unless they are really simple I get confused.

blzbob September 8th, 2013 09:55 PM

I'm still plugging away. I just wanted to take a break and knock out a few easier projects first. Enjoy the starships, careers, and Star Frontiers stuff I've added!

blzbob September 9th, 2013 10:08 PM

Here's what I have so far

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone want what I've entered so far? I think I'm about halfway done. There is a lot to enter.

evildmguy September 10th, 2013 04:03 AM

I'm using them! Thanks!

edg

blzbob September 10th, 2013 06:02 AM

No problem! I think you can see what's taking me so long. I'm adding all the descriptive text so basically I'm retyping the entire book one entry at a time. Some entries have multiple options or versions. For example, for the clothing each one has 7 or 8 different options.

The good news is that I've found hidden items, like the lanthanide cells, refill kits, and the Oxymite fuel that I was able to give their own entries so that players can buy those too.

blzbob September 19th, 2013 09:35 PM

Almost done, but you probably want some more

1 Attachment(s)
So I still have about 600 items to enter (assuming my calculations are correct). Many of them are just duplicates with different fibers or toughness but it's still a lot of work.

If you see anything weird, let me know so I can fix it.

iceniqueen October 21st, 2013 09:47 AM

So how do I import them into HL? I know dumb question. I have never done it before

iceniqueen October 21st, 2013 09:53 AM

Never find.

Any plan on adding Arms and Equipment guide? Not the Stardrive one but the separate one??

EDIT: Never mind :-P

blzbob October 21st, 2013 07:24 PM

I believe that evildmguy was working on the Dark*Matter one but said he ran into some unusual issues with the way some of the equipment worked. That was awhile ago so I may be mistaken. I'm still working on the StarDrive one. I had to take a break for a bit. Work gets very overwhelming this time of year since I work in healthcare and I've started to run two different campaigns. I do plan on finishing it though.

evildmguy October 22nd, 2013 09:56 AM

Unfortunately, life again interrupted me and I have not gotten very far on the D*M A&E guide. My apologies.

edg

blzbob October 24th, 2013 08:16 PM

I'm sure this is really simple but I don't know how to do it. I need to create a box where the user can enter data for equipment to make it more specific for the item.

For example, this is the description for the Celestial Navkit:

Quote:

This kit is a modified data slate built around a head-down starfinder and holosextant. The navkit's internal sensors compute horizon location in any terrain, and its repeater display lets the navigator shoot his bearings without the tedious and painstaking process of swinging a sextant. Three identifiable stars allow the user to compute his exact location on a planet's surface in about a minute. Celestial navigation doesn't rely on a vulnerable satellite network, but a heavy overcast prevents the user from shooting stars. The celestial navkit requires a planetary database for each world it's going to be used on; a world-disk costs $50. The celestial navkit provides a -2 step bonus to Navigation - {i}system astrogation{/i} skill checks.
I need to make the world-disk so that it can be selected multiple times but the user can enter whatever world it's created for.

evildmguy October 28th, 2013 10:19 AM

Okay, on the second thing, don't make it unique, and they can have as many as they want.

As for the first, hmm. I think I will have to specify for the editor that you can enter some text for an item. Basically, same as Domain for a skill. I will put that on the list.

Thanks!

edg

blzbob October 30th, 2013 07:10 AM

Thanks. I was thinking there was a simple script I could enter myself so you wouldn't have to do any extra work.

evildmguy October 30th, 2013 02:55 PM

Hmmm. Maybe. Let me look into that.

evildmguy October 31st, 2013 05:34 AM

Nope. I am going to have to add something to it for the next version for this to be done. I was hoping there was a work around but if so nothing I could find.

Thanks!

edg

blzbob October 31st, 2013 07:45 AM

Thank you. That will make it easier for several bits of equipment.

blzbob November 30th, 2013 07:37 PM

I haven't forgotten that I'm trying to finish this up. Life has taken over for a bit. I do plan on getting more entered soon.

evildmguy November 30th, 2013 10:24 PM

Life has gotten in my way as well. So it's not a problem if it takes a bit of time to enter these! I do hope data entry and your own Alternity group are going well!

edg

jbearwillis December 1st, 2013 01:12 AM

AGggrrrrrrrrrrh, I need it NOW!!!!! - Just Kidding LOL - As my gaming group has always said for the passed 30 years or at least as we got older is life and family always comes first, No matter what. I hope all is well with both of you and yours. Get it done when you can get it done. No biggie at all.
Peace out, JBear

blzbob December 1st, 2013 06:56 AM

I work in a retail pharmacy so this is a very busy time of year and I'm getting home too tired to do more data entry. The good news is that I'm probably bringing someone new into the Alternity world! He's a very new gamer but he's got a good head on his shoulders and he takes lots of notes and reads the rules. We just may not be able to game again until January because over half the players also work retail and making sure they have a Saturday off this time of year is not easy.

Pan August 12th, 2014 08:29 AM

I hope there are still people out there interested, I am getting close to finishing the Arms and Equipment guide for Star*Drive. The first version I will hand over to evildmguy will have the objects and their descriptions. My friends and I are going to work on getting it properly scripted so please stay tuned. When we are done with that we will move on to the other books. I was hoping to have the A&E done for Gencon 2014 but it doesn't look like we will hit that mark.

evildmguy September 5th, 2014 07:29 PM

My group decided to switch back to Alternity. We are going to be playing a Dark*Matter type world, actually more supernatural, and so I will be looking at this again.

I already found a typo. :o Let me know when I do that!

edg