Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Distance and scale on maps. (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=47539)

gamemasterbob December 4th, 2013 05:38 PM

Distance and scale on maps.

Implement a scale and measurement tool for maps in RW. Perhaps like the way you can with a PDF and leave the marker on the map if you prefer. Link it of course and give it a reveal state.

BTW
I am so impressed with Realm Works. This is THE most significant tool for TT RPG gamers that I have ever seen. Folks, RW gives this hobby significance. RW is NOT a toy it's a tool for serious gamers who value their stories. I am so glad I backed this.

Bidmaron December 8th, 2013 06:25 PM

gamemasterbob, this request is a lot more complicated than it sounds. Unless you have flat worlds, in order to accurately determine distance on a small scale (large area) map, you have to know the projection in which the map is rendered. There is no way in a 2d representation to have a digital 'ruler' of a fixed size to measure distance accurately. It is the reason Greenland looks bigger than South America on many maps because its size is horribly distorted in most temperate-focused maps and charts.

gamemasterbob December 14th, 2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bidmaron (Post 171697)
gamemasterbob, this request is a lot more complicated than it sounds. Unless you have flat worlds, in order to accurately determine distance on a small scale (large area) map, you have to know the projection in which the map is rendered. There is no way in a 2d representation to have a digital 'ruler' of a fixed size to measure distance accurately. It is the reason Greenland looks bigger than South America on many maps because its size is horribly distorted in most temperate-focused maps and charts.

I appreciate your intelligent and true input Bidmaron. I will mention here that ALL my game maps have scale; a printed key that measures distance. Google maps has scale(real maps). We need a scale gadget. :)

Peace.

Rabulias December 14th, 2013 09:44 AM

And I would imagine the majority of maps that users enter into RealmWorks will cover relatively small areas, so map distortion will not be an issue most of the time.

Bidmaron December 14th, 2013 06:18 PM

Well, every GM I know has a world map and continent maps, the distortion would kick in there. But, as long as it was optional, I suppose it's a useful feature.

Sigil December 18th, 2014 09:43 AM

Distance Measurement

I also like the idea a a distance measuring tool!

I would also like to see a measuring tool that would allow me to trace a path and then find out the length of the path.

It would also be handy if you could measure an object on the map and then tell RW the size of the object. This works very well with scales on maps.

Thanks

Dark Lord Galen December 18th, 2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bidmaron (Post 172124)
Well, every GM I know has a world map and continent maps, the distortion would kick in there. But, as long as it was optional, I suppose it's a useful feature.

I find this marginally useful. Since Realm Works is not nor ever will be a VTT. Most maps would be reference by nature. Further, there is no real need for a "gadget" if you are incorporating the map from another source (ie Campaign Cart, Paint, Photoshop, etc) you can just as easily apply whatever overlay or scale there as well. (be it square, hex, triangle, etc) and have that equal to 1 unit= XXXft

I would agree with other threads with a need for a polygon type of "unshader" when it comes to reveals, custom pins, but would not venture too far from that path.

To entertain such is a slippery slope that would equate to, why not Iso views, tokens, spell effects, etc... Leave the mapmaking to the mapmakers....

just my 2cp