Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   64-bit version for Mac? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60527)

gpbrent April 14th, 2018 06:56 PM

64-bit version for Mac?
 
Opening HL on Mac now gives a one-time warning linking to this announcement indicating that future versions of MacOS will not be compatible with 32-bit applications:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208436

Are there plans to update Hero Lab for 64-bit?

Toblakai April 15th, 2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpbrent (Post 265523)
Opening HL on Mac now gives a one-time warning linking to this announcement indicating that future versions of MacOS will not be compatible with 32-bit applications:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208436

Are there plans to update Hero Lab for 64-bit?

Hopefully they have ported all the game systems to HLO before this cutoff date happens.

BoomerET April 15th, 2018 11:42 AM

Oh boy, now you've opened a kettle of fish, thanks @Toblakai. <grin>


Dave

Toblakai April 15th, 2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerET (Post 265533)
Oh boy, now you've opened a kettle of fish, thanks @Toblakai. <grin>


Dave

I guess they could run the 32bit Windows version in a VM on a Mac.

qcgreywolf April 16th, 2018 09:13 AM

As a long time user whom has sunk hundreds and hundreds of dollars into the product, I would feel pretty betrayed if they didn't update their product. I've even managed to get a dozen or so friends and family members hooked on the product. Then again, myself (the GM) and the wife are the only ones using a Mac...

We still need some 'offline' products in this world. I know all the pro's and con's of taking everything online from both the consumer and the businesses perspective, but I despise the change in general across he board.

If the power goes out and people want to get together to play a Pen and Paper game because - no power? Sorry, can't all our character sheets are online.

If we want to continue playing a sweet campaign while camping, or in a rented cabin up in the woods away from cell service? Can't.

If there were a handful of cases where going online only DIDN'T make sense, it would be a Pen and Paper RPG.

And don't even get me started on the demonic "Everything on the planet needs to be individual subscriptions" horse-apples approach. *shakes a single finger at Adobe*

MNBlockHead April 16th, 2018 10:21 AM

They'll continue to invest in product development if it makes them money. From everything RWD has posted about this, they fully intend to support HLC indefinitely. That said, I suspect that the focus is going to be on HLO with HLC support being primarily bug fixes and minor changes. I have no idea if releasing a 64-bit version of HLC is a major development effort or now. If it is, I suspect that doing so is a low priority.

gpbrent April 16th, 2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcgreywolf (Post 265562)
We still need some 'offline' products in this world. I know all the pro's and con's of taking everything online from both the consumer and the businesses perspective, but I despise the change in general across he board.

If the power goes out and people want to get together to play a Pen and Paper game because - no power? Sorry, can't all our character sheets are online.

If we want to continue playing a sweet campaign while camping, or in a rented cabin up in the woods away from cell service? Can't.

I hear you. If we're doing a ten-hour road trip, it's nice being able to use HL for adventure planning, and one of my favourite gaming memories comes from a camping trip.

Toblakai April 16th, 2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 265566)
They'll continue to invest in product development if it makes them money. From everything RWD has posted about this, they fully intend to support HLC indefinitely. That said, I suspect that the focus is going to be on HLO with HLC support being primarily bug fixes and minor changes. I have no idea if releasing a 64-bit version of HLC is a major development effort or now. If it is, I suspect that doing so is a low priority.

I have done a couple of 32bit to 64bit ports. I haven't done a Mac port before, just Linux and Windows. The biggest issue is the libraries. RW hasn't moved to 64bit even though it really needs it because they can't get 64bit version of one of the GUI libraries they use.

The most problematic part is finding code that expects 32bit ints and now has 64bits and still works except in some edge cases.

LazarX April 22nd, 2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpbrent (Post 265523)
Opening HL on Mac now gives a one-time warning linking to this announcement indicating that future versions of MacOS will not be compatible with 32-bit applications:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208436

Are there plans to update Hero Lab for 64-bit?

I suspect that the update will come in this form..

"We are no longer supporting Herolab for the Macintosh. We encourage you to migrate to Herolab Online for your future needs." There really isn't much incentive to develop for the Mac any more... especially for a Program where forward development is coming to an end. Herolab hasn't even migrated to 64 bit for Windows yet, and is not likely to do so.

LazarX April 22nd, 2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 265566)
They'll continue to invest in product development if it makes them money. From everything RWD has posted about this, they fully intend to support HLC indefinitely. That said, I suspect that the focus is going to be on HLO with HLC support being primarily bug fixes and minor changes. I have no idea if releasing a 64-bit version of HLC is a major development effort or now. If it is, I suspect that doing so is a low priority.

They'll keep support running for Windows, but Windows has no sign that they're going kill 32 bit operations. But gaming on the Mac, Apple has pretty much succeeded in discouraging people to take that as consideration any more. Even Blizzard has stopped porting any games outside of Diablo, Hearthstone, and World of Warcraft.

Qualifier: I assume that They did succesfully port the Ipad software to 64bit, otherwise those of you with new Ipads would not be running itnow.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright 1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.