Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Adding new monsters to encounter builder? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55905)

Voldaron May 26th, 2016 12:51 AM

Adding new monsters to encounter builder?

I'm just starting to use Hero Lab and so far it seems great. I tried to add new Monsters with the Editor (creating them as new race) but they don't Show up in the Encounter builder. Can anyone help and give some advice how to add new Monsters for 5e to use them in the Encounter builder?

Irondrake June 4th, 2016 09:41 PM

Save the monster portfolio in the 5E data folder for Hero Lab. This should be located under the ProgramData folder. Once it is there, those monsters will become available in the Encounter Builder.

CNYGamer June 5th, 2016 07:32 AM

To expand on what Irondrake said:

1. After you create your monsters in the editor, load them all up in a single portfolio. Save that portfolio with a .stock extention, not a .por extension, in your Hero Lab game system data folder.

2. To quickly see where your game system data folder is in Hero Lab, from the Tools menu, go to Explore Folders, then select Game System Data Folder. It will pop up a Windows Explorer folder (Windows) or Finder folder (OS X) showing you where your game system data files are stored.

Once you've done that, your new monsters should start showing up for you in the Encounter Builder.

AEIOU June 5th, 2016 07:53 AM

The .POR extension works. You can just upload individual files to the ProgramData folder.

However CNYGamer's recommendation is much more manageable if you have several creatures being added. That folder is already pretty cluttered with miscellaneous files.... Thank you for the extra info!

CNYGamer June 5th, 2016 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEIOU (Post 230610)
The .POR extension works. You can just upload individual files to the ProgramData folder.

However CNYGamer's recommendation is much more manageable if you have several creatures being added. That folder is already pretty cluttered with miscellaneous files.... Thank you for the extra info!

Thanks much for the clarification on that, AEIOU. I wasn't aware that the .por extension was usable in that way. It's like I always say, hang around knowledgeable people long enough and you start learning stuff. :D

AEIOU June 5th, 2016 08:22 AM

I didn't know it would work either. :) Thank you to Irondrake for the recommendation.

Voldaron June 18th, 2016 01:24 AM

Thanks a lot - I got it now.

Irondrake June 19th, 2016 04:53 PM

Great :) I tend to use one portfolio for all of my creatures, saved in that folder so it can be used in the encounter builder.

Mergon June 19th, 2016 06:48 PM

Another day, another new thing learned. :)

Jhalad September 14th, 2019 12:33 AM

This method does not appear to work, at least not for Pathfinder. While the system recognized a new file and recompiled the Encounter Library, the monster did not show up as selectable. Thoughts?