Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   D&D Starter Set (5E) (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=49485)

Irondrake May 25th, 2014 09:38 PM

D&D Starter Set (5E)

Not sure if this topic's been discussed or not, I couldn't find it. With the arrival of the starter set on July 15th, as well as character creation rules free and downloadable at the same time (in PDF format), I was wondering if we'll see Hero Lab for Dungeons & Dragons (5E) around that time as well? I've messed around with Hero Lab for the Pathfinder Beginner Box and the Hero Lab Demo, but D&D is really my game.

Colen May 27th, 2014 01:07 PM

Hi there,

Unfortunately without knowing what licensing terms (if any) Wizards makes available for publishers like us and D&D5, we can't answer this one way or the other. Even with the character creation rules for D&D Next being free, if they're not licensed in a similar way to the d20 and Pathfinder reference documents, we won't be able to provide Hero Lab implementations of those rules. :(

We're waiting to find out more about Wizards' plan for licensing D&D5 - when we do, we'll be able to provide more clarity here. Until then, it's possible that users could put together they're own data files for D&D5 using the Hero Lab authoring kit, but unfortunately we'll be unable to.

Hope this helps!

RampagingHoardes June 21st, 2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colen (Post 184166)
Hi there,

Unfortunately without knowing what licensing terms (if any) Wizards makes available for publishers like us and D&D5, we can't answer this one way or the other. Even with the character creation rules for D&D Next being free, if they're not licensed in a similar way to the d20 and Pathfinder reference documents, we won't be able to provide Hero Lab implementations of those rules. :(

We're waiting to find out more about Wizards' plan for licensing D&D5 - when we do, we'll be able to provide more clarity here. Until then, it's possible that users could put together they're own data files for D&D5 using the Hero Lab authoring kit, but unfortunately we'll be unable to.

Hope this helps!

Just wondering if you are already in contact with them over this and do you have a time frame of when you expect to hear back if that is the case? I am already building a world in Realm Works and wanted to use the new rules so creating this system from scratch with the authoring system would take away from what I need to be doing.

Also assuming Wizards gives you a greenlight how long would it be before we saw a data file created by LoneWolf?

RampagingHoardes June 24th, 2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RampagingHoardes (Post 185948)
Just wondering if you are already in contact with them over this and do you have a time frame of when you expect to hear back if that is the case? I am already building a world in Realm Works and wanted to use the new rules so creating this system from scratch with the authoring system would take away from what I need to be doing.

Also assuming Wizards gives you a greenlight how long would it be before we saw a data file created by LoneWolf?

Just bumping this up hoping to get a clearer picture on the above questions.

thanks

Heimdall June 27th, 2014 03:42 AM

This Newspost makes me worry if Hasbro is going to license DnD Next IP to anybody else.

Or I might just have missed the "Welcome LWD" News post on the Wizards site.
:(

RampagingHoardes June 27th, 2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the shameless bump but hoping the Devs may answer this before the weekend. If it is going to be a minimum of a year or two or maybe more then figuring out how to use the authoring kit will be a necessity unfortunately.

liz June 27th, 2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks for pinging us. We've spoken to them about support, but we don't have anything to share at the moment. If we're able to support it, we'll definitely share on our website and in our newsletter. I know that's not a terribly exciting or informative answer, but that's honestly where things stand. :(

As for how long it would take to create data files, that really depends on what is included in the publisher's license and the amount of content to input. It could be a few months or something longer.

I hope that helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heimdall (Post 186336)
This Newspost makes me worry if Hasbro is going to license DnD Next IP to anybody else.

Or I might just have missed the "Welcome LWD" News post on the Wizards site.
:(

That is a different company.

RampagingHoardes June 27th, 2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz (Post 186358)
Thanks for pinging us. We've spoken to them about support, but we don't have anything to share at the moment. If we're able to support it, we'll definitely share on our website and in our newsletter. I know that's not a terribly exciting or informative answer, but that's honestly where things stand. :(

As for how long it would take to create data files, that really depends on what is included in the publisher's license and the amount of content to input. It could be a few months or something longer.

I hope that helps.

That is a different company.

Hi Liz,

Thanks for responding and letting us know a bit more. Good to know that you are in talks with them and hopefully they will give you an answer soon :)

karpomatic August 21st, 2014 07:54 AM

I guess Hero lab is out for 5th Edition since WOTC announced something called "Project Morningstar" which is said to be a character generator and program that will have the books in it digitally.

EightBitz August 21st, 2014 09:59 AM

Are people still playing D&D? I swore off it with the 4th edition rules. I also heard that someone from Paizo claimed that 4th edition was the most effective marketing tool for Pathfinder.