Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Racial skill bonus that increases with level (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62921)

Aril July 24th, 2019 10:38 AM

Racial skill bonus that increases with level

I'm new to Hero Lab, and have been reading through the documentation and samples, and have figured out (using the Faerie Dragon example) how to create racial skill bonuses for a race I'm building.

However, the race I'm trying to convert has skill bonuses as the character's level goes up. So, it has +1 to X skill at lvl 1.....but then it gets another +1 at lvl 5, another +1 at lvl 10, another +1 at lvl 15, and a final +1 at lvl 20.

I'm not sure how to build a scaling racial skill bonus.

Is this possible?

Thkaal July 24th, 2019 11:34 PM

Yeah, you can do it in the scripting.

I don't know the exact variable but it would be something like...

hero.child[skill] += 1+(hero.child[level]/5)

I am probably WAY wrong on what the exact language is but it would be something like that.

Aril July 25th, 2019 06:01 AM

I used I think one of the "Eval" menus to add the script for the skill.....I followed exactly along with the instructions from the Faerie Dragon example in the tutorial.

Is that where I'd try using this alternate script you're suggesting?

Minous July 25th, 2019 07:06 AM

Are you using the HL editor to create your race or are you using the GUI racial builder?

Aril July 25th, 2019 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm....I'm not sure....I'm new......I went into Hero Lab, went to Tools, and clicked to open the Editor tool. I'm in there.

Here's a screenshot of where I'm working.

Minous July 25th, 2019 10:53 AM

So you are in the correct place, you're using the HL editor. I would recommend something like #applybonus macro should work, its something like #applybonus[BonComp,hero.child[skDiplo],4] where BonComp is the bonus for race (its failing me now) and 4 should be round(field[xTotalLev].value / 5, 0, -1) + 1

Mathias July 25th, 2019 11:41 AM

Minous - racial bonuses to skills are almost always stacking bonuses. #applybonus will create a non-stacking bonus, so that if anything else (like skill focus) is adding a bonus to that same skill, it will not stack with a bonus applied using #applybonus.

Aril July 25th, 2019 11:42 AM

Are there places where these different macros are listed? Like a guide or something?

Maybe I've just jumped into trying something difficult, rather than starting with something easy.

Mathias July 25th, 2019 12:50 PM

On the same page in the help where you found the faerie dragon example, scroll down to "Reference Information".

Copying from existing examples is always my recommendation. So if you want to know how to write a script that applies a skill bonus, how about a feat like Deceitful, that applies a bonus to a skill. If you want to know how to look up the level of a character, how about the leadership feat, that has a prereq of a character being 7th level? If you want to know how to divide a value (like the level) by some number, and then round it correctly, how about Deadly Aim, which gets +1/4 BAB.

Aril July 29th, 2019 07:36 PM

So, I've been gradually piecing together what I think I need to do.

Does this make sense for an eval script?

field[abValue].value += field[#totallevelcount[]/5,0,1] +1