Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - d20 System (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Weapon Proficiency/focus/specialization as a prereq (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7845)

Illvatar August 13th, 2008 05:41 PM

Weapon Proficiency/focus/specialization as a prereq

I'm looking to setup several feats that require specific prerequisites, as indicated in the title. I know, for instance, that I can check for weapon focus in general with "tagis[WepFocus.?]", but I will need to check proficiency, focus, and specialization for specific weapons. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks,
Illvatar

Mathias August 14th, 2008 12:24 AM

WepProf.? exists for any exotic weapon proficiencies, specific martial weapon proficiencies, or a class that grants a specified list of weapons.

#hasfeat[fWepSimple]
#hasfeat[fWepMart]

are the other items you're after.

Complain to Rob and Colen that WepSpec.? (along with WepGrFoc.? and WepGrSpec.?) don't exist, although by looking at the script for Weapon Focus, I can see how to make a version of those feats that does add the appropriate tag.

The way to find this is to add something that grants the proficiency you want (and I suggest you try getting at it multiple ways, for example Light Crossbow proficiency comes with fWepSimple, but a Wizard gains WepProf.wCrsLight), then View menu, Floating Info Windows, Show Hero Tags - keep that list up, and watch what's added as you add classes and feats.

Here's an example PreReq from Pathfinder 8 - the class in question requires proficiency in any type of crossbow:

Code:

if (hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsHand] + hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsHeavy] + hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsLight] + hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsRpHvy] + hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsRpLgt] + #hasfeat[fWepSimple] <> 0) then
@valid = 1
endif

or, to find an exotic weapon proficiency:
Code:

if (tagis[WepProf.wPFSawtoot] <> 0) then

Illvatar August 14th, 2008 02:51 AM

That sounds great, but I can't figure out how to get Floating Info Windows to highlight so I can select it. Any ideas?

<edit>
Ah, I have to turn on Data File Debugging. I've been working without that so far. I suspect this will help a lot. Thanks mgehl.
</edit>

rob August 19th, 2008 08:29 AM

At 01:24 AM 8/14/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

Here's an example PreReq from Pathfinder 8 - the class in question requires proficiency in any type of crossbow:

Code:

if (hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsHand] + hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsHeavy] + hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsLight] + hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsRpHvy] + hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrsRpLgt] + #hasfeat[fWepSimple] <> 0) then
@valid = 1
endif
Don't forget that you can use wildcards on the tag templates. If all crossbow proficiencies are of the form "wCrsXXXXX", then you can use "WepProf.wCrs?" to reference all of them. So the above code could be simplified to:

if (hero.tagis[WepProf.wCrs>] + #hasfeat[fWepSimple] <> 0) then
* @valid = 1
* endif

In addition to being simpler, if someone adds a new crossbow proficiency, the code works without needing any changes.

rob August 19th, 2008 08:32 AM

At 03:51 AM 8/14/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

That sounds great, but I can't figure out how to get Floating Info Windows to highlight so I can select it. Any ideas?
I don't understand. Please clarify. [Maybe it's because my brain is still in a fog from GenCon - we just got home late last night.]

Mathias August 19th, 2008 10:39 AM

Re: Weapon Proficiency/focus/specialization as a prereq

Rob, his edited version answered his own question.

I forgot to tell him that the floating info windows are only available if you have debugging turned on. From experience in AB and CV, I knew to turn on debugging as soon as I got HL, and I can forget about that when I'm analyzing a product.

Rob, may I suggest a section at the beginning of the authoring documentation covering things like what the debugging tools can offer, how to access them, and details of how to write additional files, namely that you can't edit the files in the source folder, you have to create a new file.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob
At 03:51 AM 8/14/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand. Please clarify. [Maybe it's because my brain is still in a fog from GenCon - we just got home late last night.]