Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Hero lab freezes after install on WINE (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7614)

anivair May 30th, 2008 11:24 AM

Hero lab freezes after install on WINE

I've got hero lab installed on ubuntu linux under wine. Install went fine (or so it seemed) but when I start the program I get to the screen that says "Building User Interface ..." and then it just stops.

not sure what to do to even troubleshoot that. here's my command line output for anyone that can make heads or tails of it:

anivair@anivair-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/HeroLab$ wine "/home/anivair/.wine/drive_c/HeroLab/HeroLab.exe"
preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
fixme:spoolsv:serv_main (0 (nil))
err:region:CombineRgn Invalid rgn=(nil)

And then it just carries on like that till I stop it.

I have one suggestion from the wine pages that suggests I edit xorg.conf. I'm going to try that and if it works, I'll post it here so we have it for others.

anivair May 30th, 2008 12:20 PM

that didn't fix it. Still looking into patches.

anivair June 2nd, 2008 07:13 AM

Still nothing. I've just opted to use VMware instead to make it work. I'll keep working on wine solutions. I suspect it has to do with fiddling with winecfg, but I can't find it.

Colen June 3rd, 2008 08:54 AM

Hero lab freezes after install on WINE

anivair wrote:
>
>
> Still nothing. I've just opted to use VMware instead to make it work.
> I'll keep working on wine solutions. I suspect it has to do with
> fiddling with winecfg, but I can't find it.

I don't have any experience with WINE, so I'm afraid I can't help :(
Does anyone else run Hero Lab under it that could lend their experiences?

--
Colen McAlister, colen@wolflair.com
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development

Faenril April 29th, 2009 01:04 AM

I have the same issue.

(It was me who posted yesterday as chatladin on M&M HQ)

rob May 2nd, 2009 07:57 PM

Hero Lab *does* make use of memory-mapped files within Windows. While a proper implementation of WINE should fundamentally support memory-mapped files, it's the only thing that HL does that isn't very vanilla - aside from our licensing mechanism. You might try writing a very simple Windows program that leverages memory-mapped files and test it out under WINE. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else HL could be doing that would get WINE fundamentally confused.

Faenril May 4th, 2009 01:53 AM

I could if I knew how to write such a program ^^;

gabesword August 19th, 2009 12:17 PM

I'm having the exact same problem. Is there a list of what .dlls are used? Often replacing a WINE dll with one from a Windows install takes care of quirks like this.

dsprag August 19th, 2009 07:31 PM

I have run into the same problem with the demo version. Interestingly, Savage Worlds, Cortex, and the authoring kit have no problems getting past that point, but even they freeze eventually.

Dan

dsprag August 19th, 2009 07:39 PM

Also just noticed that when it hangs, the HeroLab process is sitting there holding one core of my CPU at 100% load.

Dan