Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - 4th Edition (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Stand alone? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=12350)

ghost2020 February 2nd, 2011 12:15 PM

Stand alone?

Do I need a DDI subscription to use the HL 4th ed character builder?

RavenX February 2nd, 2011 01:33 PM

Yes to download all the data you do. The downloader is under update right now though.

ghost2020 February 4th, 2011 01:03 PM

Can I still make characters? What can I do with HL right out of the box with 4e? (assuming no DDI subscription)

Sinner666 February 4th, 2011 03:01 PM

You can use the downloader to get any content that is available to non-subscribers and make characters using that. Otherwise, not a lot since unlike Pathfinder and other systems they do not have a license agreemen with WOTC.

ghost2020 February 5th, 2011 07:49 AM

OK, and not meaning to be a jerk, but there really isn't any sense in buying the 4e module for Hero Lab, is there?

SAbel February 5th, 2011 08:16 AM

I use the 4E data set all the time, I do have a DDI account, but if you do not and did not want one you could add the content yourself. Other opitions would be to have a one Month DDI account and get your content for that point then add information from the new books as they come out. Over all HL is, IMO, the best character development software on market.

Darkholme February 5th, 2011 01:24 PM

Well, 4e just discontinued Character Builder (They have the online one for DDI Members, but it's horribly slow and runs like shit.)

Rhat said, even when they had the Character Builder, it didn't support any houserules, or adding new options, whereas HL Does.

And HL is Arguably the most useful character builder I've ever used, though it has a bit of a learning curve.

The final advantage of HL over the online D&D Character builder, is that if you discontinue your DDI Subscription, you can still use all of the data that you dled. - And being DDI Based, you dont have to wait for lonewolf to enter the data in, the wotc people will enter the data.

That said, there's a reason that HL 4e comes with The complete Savage Worlds game and the toolkit.

ghost2020 February 6th, 2011 07:41 AM

Oh yeah, the 1 month ddi and do the download there.

Ok, good points!

Thanks for the info!

If I keep getting into D&D 4e, this will be very good to have.

thanks

Northern_Wolf February 11th, 2011 12:50 PM

The DDI Downloader works fine for me.... Definitely worth the one month subscription.

ghost2020 February 11th, 2011 01:26 PM

Well I had a few more 4e sessions and it's an ok game but we primarily play Pathfinder and 3.5. (To which I've already ordered my Hero Lab cd and I'm going to go with Pathfinder)

So I think I'm going to unload my D&D 4e stuff.

Thanks for all the input you guys are a great resource!