Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Open multiple windows to the same realm? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61578)

daudvyd November 15th, 2018 01:18 AM

Open multiple windows to the same realm?

I'd like to have several windows open to the same realm, for example a person topic and a user note. Is that possible?

Merion November 15th, 2018 01:27 AM

No, unfortunately not.

There have been several requests for this already, the most recent being this one I think, but right now it can't be done.
I wish it would be possible too, or at least detachable tabs.

What's your use case for this? Maybe someone knows another way to achieve what you want to be doing.

daudvyd November 15th, 2018 02:32 AM

Here is my use case:

I'm trying to create a single realm to use simultaneously with two groups of players. One game started about six months ago, the other game started three months ago. Maintaining two similar realms and copying new material between them seemed nearly impossible. Also, the players don't use RealmWorks--only I do.

My plan is to separate all the entities (e.g. NPC people) from their current whereabouts and status. For example, the players in one group had a criminal NPC in custody while the players in the other group scared her into trying to leave town. I'm setting up two categories of user notes (Group 1 and Group 2) to store the current status of each NPC. The NPC's name will serve as a link between the user note and the corresponding person topic.

It would be great to see the user note and the person topic at the same time.

Shadowy_one November 19th, 2018 01:18 AM

I use Topic Views to manage two different groups in the same setting. It's not perfect, but it helps keep an overview of what which group knows...

Merion November 19th, 2018 03:40 AM

Basically this boils down to the individual character reveal feature that also has been asked for (multiple times I think), right?!

Dark Lord Galen November 19th, 2018 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 272862)
Basically this boils down to the individual character reveal feature that also has been asked for (multiple times I think), right?!

Yep, and even further discussed as a feature for the "players Version of Realmworks"

kbs666 November 19th, 2018 04:33 AM

Actually this sounds more like needing two separate versions of the same base realm. Ultimately it would be far easier to simply change the NPC, and other topics in the separate realms as needed.

Avi November 19th, 2018 04:39 AM

Merge RLW with Github and version control with branching :p

Dark Lord Galen November 19th, 2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 272864)
Actually this sounds more like needing two separate versions of the same base realm. Ultimately it would be far easier to simply change the NPC, and other topics in the separate realms as needed.

KBS.. I would agree if the perspective is from the DM (GM point of view for game management)... As the thread first started....

I was making reference to Merlion's perspective as it would relate to a player point of view...

Suffice to say both are not available and unlikely until LWD goes 64bit due to RAM limits as realms grow... and of course the swamp that is the content market....
:(

:D