Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Repeatable Custom Sections in a Category (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=52622)

ibecker March 30th, 2015 11:39 PM

Repeatable Custom Sections in a Category

(I thought I had seen this mentioned before, but after searching a bit, I didn't find it - I apologize if this has already appeared in the forum.)

I often find myself entering multiple subsections with identical structures into a Topic. Currently, we can only define an optional custom section by its header, and it only appears in the "Add Section => Above/Below This One => Custom Section" list until it is added once. Thus if there is a section structure that appears more than once in a given part of a Topic, it must be added by hand every time after the first. It would be nice if we could define the custom section by a separate label, and then add the section an arbitrary number of times, with different section names each time in the Topic.

As a simple example, for those familiar with GURPS:
An advantage (e.g. "Allies") might have several different optional enhancements (e.g. "Minion", "Summonable", etc.). Each enhancement has a name (the subsection title), a point cost adjustment (numerical snippet), and a description (text snippet).

Currently, for each enhancement to a given advantage, I have to add a custom section, then a custom numerical snippet, then a custom text snippet, and only then fill in the data. It would be nice if I could, in my "GURPS: Advantage" category, add a repeatable subsection labelled "Enhancement", that would add the blank subsection (with an empty heading) and the two snippets, so I could then just fill in the name of the section and the data, and then do the same for the next enhancement to the same advantage.

-Ian

EightBitz April 14th, 2015 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibecker (Post 206647)
(I thought I had seen this mentioned before, but after searching a bit, I didn't find it - I apologize if this has already appeared in the forum.)

I often find myself entering multiple subsections with identical structures into a Topic. Currently, we can only define an optional custom section by its header, and it only appears in the "Add Section => Above/Below This One => Custom Section" list until it is added once. Thus if there is a section structure that appears more than once in a given part of a Topic, it must be added by hand every time after the first. It would be nice if we could define the custom section by a separate label, and then add the section an arbitrary number of times, with different section names each time in the Topic.

As a simple example, for those familiar with GURPS:
An advantage (e.g. "Allies") might have several different optional enhancements (e.g. "Minion", "Summonable", etc.). Each enhancement has a name (the subsection title), a point cost adjustment (numerical snippet), and a description (text snippet).

Currently, for each enhancement to a given advantage, I have to add a custom section, then a custom numerical snippet, then a custom text snippet, and only then fill in the data. It would be nice if I could, in my "GURPS: Advantage" category, add a repeatable subsection labelled "Enhancement", that would add the blank subsection (with an empty heading) and the two snippets, so I could then just fill in the name of the section and the data, and then do the same for the next enhancement to the same advantage.

-Ian

To me, this seems like kind of a backwards way to go about it. I would create the enhancements as separate topics. You can even create a custom category for them. With GURPS, for example, I would add each advantage and disadvantage as its own topic. Then, in the character to whom it applies, I would create one snippet with the name of the enhancement, and any details to clarify variables.

ibecker April 14th, 2015 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 207332)
To me, this seems like kind of a backwards way to go about it. I would create the enhancements as separate topics. You can even create a custom category for them. With GURPS, for example, I would add each advantage and disadvantage as its own topic. Then, in the character to whom it applies, I would create one snippet with the name of the enhancement, and any details to clarify variables.

I've actually done a combination of these things:
- Each Advantage/Disadvantage is its own topic
- Each generally-applicable Enhancement/Limitation is its own topic, referenced by name where applicable
- Each "captive" Enhancement/Limitation (one that applies specifically to one particular Advantage/Disadvantage) is listed as I described before, in the topic of the Advantage/Limitation to which it applies

It's that last one which I would like to be easier, by allowing predefinition of repeatable subsections.

-Ian

JustinThomason February 11th, 2019 12:58 PM

+1 to this idea.

MNBlockHead February 11th, 2019 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny, I was going to make a post requesting this last night, but got lazy.

I created a custom topic called "Downtime Activity". All downtime activities allowed in my campaign from the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and Xanathar's Guide to Everything have a subsection with fields applicable to those subsections.

I don't want the campaign time line cluttered with hundreds of downtime entries. I have on topic per character per downtime period. Problem is that for longer periods, their may be multiple weeks of a specific downtime activity. I would love to be able to just create a section for each instance. Instead I kludge but putting all roles and dates in a notes snippet and then just enter the totals in the fields. Example:

Attachment 6186

I would rather have a new section to record each instance / week of an activity.

Farling February 11th, 2019 02:40 PM

I think this looks like it could do with a feature request to allow certain items NOT to appear in the timeline :-)

Greebo February 12th, 2019 12:07 AM

Repeatable Custom Sections would be very useful, so:

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 275724)
I think this looks like it could do with a feature request to allow certain items NOT to appear in the timeline :-)

Indeed:

+1

Bidmaron February 12th, 2019 06:12 PM

I'm in +1