Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Nooby Questions! (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53784)

Pexx September 7th, 2015 01:01 PM

Nooby Questions!

Realm Works is something my group(s) have been watching for a while now. We are currently using Roll20. Recently had a convo about what is the status of Realm Works? So I spent the good part of the day trying to dig up videos,articles etc.... I came up short so thus I am here.

A couple things holding us back to make a full on switch over to Realm Works to give you lots of moneys are....

1.) Does it currently have dynamic lighting as good or better than Roll20s? Link for reference => https://wiki.roll20.net/Dynamic_Lighting If no are there plans to have dynamic lighting in the future? If so is there some eta?

2.) I currently spend a lot of time making transparent background tokens via .png files. Will Realm Works allow me to add full body tokens with transparent backgrounds on maps and such?

3.) Am I able to upload my own maps and then resize the scale of those maps as I see fit?

kbs666 September 7th, 2015 01:14 PM

Realm works is not the same thing as Roll20.

Roll20 is a virtual table top. It is intended to let a GM run a game remotely over the net (you know that already I assume).

Realm Works is a campaign management system. While you can use it during play, it is much more focused on building and maintaining the world rather than the nitty gritty of running a session.

With that being said, your questions really are not applicable.

MNBlockHead September 7th, 2015 01:16 PM

RW is not a VTT and is a very different product than Role20 or Fantasy Grounds. It is a very powerful campaign management tool. So:

1. No. There would be no point. It is not a VTT.
2. It won't allow you to add or move tokens at all. It is not a VTT.
3. No. You can load maps so they are available to the GM at the game and the GM and display and reveal only portions the party has explored, but that is more of an at-table tool. It doesn't manage combat, allow you to move tokens around, etc.

Again, it is not a VTT and has to plans to become one. It would be nice if it eventually integrates into VTT tools like Role20, like it currently links with Hero Lab, but that is not not the road map.

If you are looking for a replacement for Roll20, then RealmWorks is not the tool for you.

If you want an very powerful way to build worlds and manage campaigns, you'll find nothing better.

A better comparison to RW than Roll20 is Obsidian Portal. Obsidian Portal serves a same niche as RW. Roll20 serves a completely different niche.

Pexx September 7th, 2015 01:30 PM

"Incrementally reveal content (including maps) to the players as the PCs uncover the information during play – without compromising what remains hidden and with no extra hassles".
"Easily include different types of content, including images, maps, Hero Lab portfolios, statblocks, audio, video, and virtually anything else."

Sounds pretty VTT to me.

Anyways you both have made it pretty crystal clear that is not the focus of it and just a fancy DM management tool.

Alas I'll have to wait till it's integrated into an actual VTT to pick this up cause I was looking for an all in one. Which is my main complaint about most VTT they do some things really well, but not everything. This is one of the major things lacking from Roll20 imho. Wish I could have both *sadface* Oh well that's how the dice are rolled.

Thank you for responding.

Vargr September 20th, 2015 08:47 PM

It isn't "just a fancy DM management tool".

It is "the fancy DM management tool" :-)

I have seen nothing that can do even 10% of what RW does - for managing a realm and a campaign, it is absolutely fantastic.

And no, it is not a VTT per se. Yet I do use it for presenting maps and reveal areas on them as we go forward. No fancy lightning or stuff - just good old storytelling.

whump September 21st, 2015 06:57 AM

@Pexx,
I'm someone who uses both Roll20 and RealmWorks. They do different things but they are complementary. I'm assuming you play game sessions online, right?

RW is a database, essentially, in which you store whatever information you like about your campaign, and you can reveal it all bit by bit to players.

If you're in the same room as your players you can set up a screen with 'player view', which will show your players whatever bits of info you have chosen to reveal. Text or maps or whatever. Maps can be revealed bit by bit.

What it doesn't do is do this in real time online - it's just local. So the player view is like an interactive adventure journal really. Players can also look at the info outside of game sessions by using the player version of RW.

Asmo September 21st, 2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargr (Post 216071)
It isn't "just a fancy DM management tool".

It is "the fancy DM management tool" :-)

I have seen nothing that can do even 10% of what RW does - for managing a realm and a campaign, it is absolutely fantastic.

And no, it is not a VTT per se. Yet I do use it for presenting maps and reveal areas on them as we go forward. No fancy lightning or stuff - just good old storytelling.

Agree, i was very happy to get this working for my campaign and my players are happy with the map/fog of war support on tv and the pictures of NPC's.