Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Syncing two computers (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=43547)

Agyess April 13th, 2013 07:34 AM

Syncing two computers

Will there be a non-cloud option to sync two version of the RW database?

rob April 14th, 2013 01:04 AM

For intelligent syncing? No. The syncing logic will identify only what's changed and transmit those changes between client and server to ensure best performance. It will only exist between the client and server. When moving data between two computers, you will need to perform backups and restores of the database to effect the transfer.

Jamz April 14th, 2013 09:09 AM

Can this database exist on a LAN (mapped drive) and be shared by multiple instances?

Or for that matter, can you install realm works on a unc location?

Caraldur May 6th, 2013 09:21 AM

I too was wondering if you would be able to host a Realm Works campaign on a local network. That way I can share information with the players via a player version of Realm Works. Is this going to be possible or are we going to be forced to use the Cloud so players will be able to view campaign information that has been revealed to them?

rob May 6th, 2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 153539)
Can this database exist on a LAN (mapped drive) and be shared by multiple instances?

Or for that matter, can you install realm works on a unc location?

In a word, no. Each client database is unique to a specific account. Attempts to share the database on a network it will result in bad things happening to your data. So please don't do that. :)

Sharing of the database will initially be limited to the cloud. We can look at expanding the options after the initial release.

rob May 6th, 2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caraldur (Post 155585)
I too was wondering if you would be able to host a Realm Works campaign on a local network. That way I can share information with the players via a player version of Realm Works. Is this going to be possible or are we going to be forced to use the Cloud so players will be able to view campaign information that has been revealed to them?

In the initial release, player access will be achieved via (a) showing material to the players on a GM-controlled display and (b) syncing to the cloud. Setting up a local network to orchestrate everything will entail a lot more work and will only cater to a subset of users, so it won't be available in the initial release and has been put on the todo list for inclusion as some point in the future.

weogarth May 19th, 2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 155616)
..result in bad things happening to your data.

*twitch*