Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   installing the PDF plugin (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=66276)

Marisakis September 1st, 2021 03:39 AM

installing the PDF plugin

Hi there. Getting this plugin to download/install seems impossible. I've seen two other threads
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53937
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55432
These suggest that I need to 'go to the downloaded file'. However, the 'go to file' button in the Latest Updates screen sends me to www.wolflair.com instead, and I can't find the file anywhere in the Hero Lab system folder (D:\Program Files (x86)\Hero Lab) or in AppData

Dami September 7th, 2021 11:33 PM

Are you having trouble downloading the file? Or have you got the file, and are having trouble installing?
Those links aren't saying "go to the file/update" - they are saying run the update, close Herolab, finish installing; OR close HL, locate the file on your PC and run it from there. The file should be in C:/Program Data/Hero Lab/download

Andrew December 21st, 2021 02:33 PM

I am having the same problem and ufortunatly Windows 10 does not seem to have a C/Program Data folder at all. The closest I can find is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hero Lab
and that folder has nothing resembling an executable for installing the pdf drivers

The problem of course is windows which for reasons known only to itseld is hiding the folder with the download in it. However Herolabs can find the folder if you go to the tools menu , Explore folders it can open the folder for you. Then it takes 10 seconds to run the program, so thanks Windows for wasting a couple more hours of my life

charlieluce December 21st, 2021 04:07 PM

For future users who find this topic: from inside Hero Lab Classic go to Tools > Explore Folders > Program Data Folder and then open the downloads folder in that window and you should see the pdfcanvas installer. After that you can close HLC and install the PDF update.

darthgator March 21st, 2022 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieluce (Post 297794)
For future users who find this topic: from inside Hero Lab Classic go to Tools > Explore Folders > Program Data Folder and then open the downloads folder in that window and you should see the pdfcanvas installer. After that you can close HLC and install the PDF update.

I installed the plugin from the downloads folder and I still get the same error from HLC:

"To create PDF files, you must download the PDF plugin for Hero Lab. This is available as a free download from the updates mechanism."

Not sure what the problem is, but HLC clearly isn't recognizing the plugin once it's installed.

Duggan March 21st, 2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthgator (Post 298628)
I installed the plugin from the downloads folder and I still get the same error from HLC:

"To create PDF files, you must download the PDF plugin for Hero Lab. This is available as a free download from the updates mechanism."

Not sure what the problem is, but HLC clearly isn't recognizing the plugin once it's installed.

Huh. I don't have a solution, but are you able to use the Print option to Print to PDF?

Lexin March 24th, 2022 07:03 AM

The solution is to turn off HL then install the plugin, then turn it on again when it's installed.

charlieluce March 24th, 2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthgator (Post 298628)

Just out of curiosity, does the error occur in both 32-bit and 64-bit HLC?

Nogard666 February 23rd, 2024 06:57 AM

I am having this problem as well while trying to make PDF files of Shadowrun characters. I downloaded the plugin and installed it without HLC running. I am on the x64 version.

Dami February 24th, 2024 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogard666 (Post 302946)
I am having this problem as well while trying to make PDF files of Shadowrun characters. I downloaded the plugin and installed it without HLC running. I am on the x64 version.

Exactly what problem are you having? Is there an error message? Does HL tell you that you haven't installed the plugin, or does it just not create a PDF?
There was a problem previously where the plugin was installed it for one windows version and not the other. If this is the case you can try to find the files in the x32 directory and copy it to the x64. From PDFcanvas directory, 4 files - pdfcanvas64.dll/lib, pdflib64.dll/lib.

Also, did you BUY the Shadowrun package? If you are running Shadowrun in Demo, you can't save or print.