Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Alternity (user-created) (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Working on Release 1.4 (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=50603)

evildmguy September 5th, 2014 07:40 PM

Working on Release 1.4

Greetings!

My group is getting back into Alternity and I'm getting back into the character creator. For any who have created something, let me know if you want me to include, with the appropriate credit, of course.

I think I have also been given the basic okay to add some more text/descriptions, so will be doing a bit of that as well.

I only started looking at it tonight. I will post a list of things I am working on as soon as I can. As usual, requests or comments are welcome!

Thanks!

edg

evildmguy September 14th, 2014 05:43 PM

Okay, getting back into it this weekend. I mainly came up to speed on things. I did start the durability on the In-Play tab. I also fixed an error in computing certain skill's costs. I have also entered in some descriptions. Lots more to do but progress was made.

jbearwillis September 14th, 2014 06:49 PM

Great news, I was also wondering why the human has ability scores that start higher then 4 right off the bat.

evildmguy September 15th, 2014 09:32 AM

That happens due to the way I set up the Professions. I set the minimums for the profession, which means that everyone starts with the defaults for a Combat Spec. I'm open to ideas on how people think it should go. Don't do anything and set to zero? Then check for requirements?

I suppose I also set the minimums, so maybe don't do that? Again, start at zero?

jbearwillis September 15th, 2014 12:22 PM

Ok I see, So When you pick an Alien Race it will Set your Stats for the race and then pick your profession it will alter it again to set the min for that profession, is that correct. If that's the case, then that's cool. I was just a little confused is all and wanted to make sure I understood what you were going for. Thanks for the answer and keep up the great work.

evildmguy September 21st, 2014 06:49 PM

Yes, that's how it works. It sets it but I don't have it reset it if something else is picked. Again, open to ideas if anyone wants different behavior.

Got some more work done on it this weekend. Not enough as other things happened but progress on the in-play tab and some more descriptions entered.

I hope everyone had a good weekend and has a good week!

edg

RavenX September 22nd, 2014 10:14 PM

I own most of the sourcebooks for Alternity. I might be able to help out sometime when I get spare time. Lately I've been too busy to do much.

evildmguy September 23rd, 2014 03:26 PM

Thanks and no problem! I understand. I'm busy as well! The campaign doesn't stop for data entry!

:)

edg

evildmguy September 23rd, 2014 03:31 PM

Update:

At the moment, I'm still trying to come back up to speed with how programming HL works. To that end, I have something on the in-play tab for tracking durability but it needs work. At least there is something at the moment.

I have also entered descriptions for professions, perks, and flaws. I'm looking to do attributes next.

I'm holding off on skills because I'm trying to see how I can implement rank bonuses in some way, even if it's only a reminder.

As with the in-play tab, I'm hoping to put something out there and refine it as I go, to get back in the swing of things. If anyone wants something, let me know!

Thanks!

edg

evildmguy September 23rd, 2014 04:03 PM

I'm also looking into reskinning it as I don't like the blue. I was thinking of going green as I also don't think any other system uses that in HL. Again, as I get to it.

jbearwillis September 23rd, 2014 04:33 PM

When you can get around to it, It would be nice if the mutations was working on how many mutation to drawbacks you get. To keep track and throw an error when you go over. Only when you can work it into the schedule. Thanks JBear

RavenX September 25th, 2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evildmguy (Post 193767)
Update:

At the moment, I'm still trying to come back up to speed with how programming HL works. To that end, I have something on the in-play tab for tracking durability but it needs work. At least there is something at the moment.

This requires a bit of fidgeting in the files themselves, as the key pieces are in different files. I was able to reverse engineer it in 2e to get the psionic strength points working so I kind of know how it works. It's just a matter of getting time to crank on it to get it all in place.

One request I will ask for is to add a toggle or selection options into the source options for different campaign settings.
One for generic alternity, and options for Dark Matter, Gamma World, and Star Drive would really be nice. That way we can source items for Gamma World to that setting, and items that are for Star Drive can be sourced to it appropriately.

evildmguy September 27th, 2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenX (Post 193952)
This requires a bit of fidgeting in the files themselves, as the key pieces are in different files. I was able to reverse engineer it in 2e to get the psionic strength points working so I kind of know how it works. It's just a matter of getting time to crank on it to get it all in place.

One request I will ask for is to add a toggle or selection options into the source options for different campaign settings.
One for generic alternity, and options for Dark Matter, Gamma World, and Star Drive would really be nice. That way we can source items for Gamma World to that setting, and items that are for Star Drive can be sourced to it appropriately.

Yep. Still needing more time, I guess, to figure out. I have something, as I said, but I'm just not happy with it. I have it so that you can count up but I'm trying to figure out how to set it so you count down. Then I'm trying to add it so that when they are over half on stuns/wounds, that a marker shows up to remind them of being at penalty. (I'm really lamenting that Alternity didn't name that condition!) I don't know why this has been so hard for me. *sigh*

I love requests!

I think I have this in place in that I have base campaign settings under configure your character. I need to make sure I'm using it as well but I am doing so with the Dark*Matter stuff I enter.

One of the problems, though, is how HL works with regards to replacing things. If I set up a new version of some "thing" and set it to replace a base item, what happens is that it no longer exists as a base item and only exists under the new thing.

For example, if I set up the new description of Psychology in D*M and set it to replace the existing Psychology, then if you don't select D*M, Psychology doesn't even appear! And if you do select D*M, then it appears just fine.

I'm trying to work on that as I enter D*M data to see how I can get something to work.

Thanks!

edg

RavenX September 27th, 2014 07:31 PM

For the Psionics tab I just copied everything from the Health components as they were created in the sample file. Wasn't hard, just time consuming, because you'd need four copies and to adjust it so that the health summary displays properly. One thing that would be nice under the optional rules, is to have a setting available for the optional dazing rule for stun and wound damage. It's not optional for mortal damage, but it is for stun and wound. You could easily add that I think.

Also the Optional Rule 2A, 2B, etc. could be renamed so they're a bit obvious as to what is being referenced with them. If I get some free time this month I'll be happy to tinker around with it more and get the data back to you, I just haven't had time to hammer anything out yet.

evildmguy September 29th, 2014 10:09 AM

Actually, I agree that the dazing rule would be mostly easy. Just haven't done it yet.

I also agree that renaming the rules so they are bit more descriptive would be good.

Thanks!

edg

RavenX September 29th, 2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evildmguy (Post 194167)
Actually, I agree that the dazing rule would be mostly easy. Just haven't done it yet.

I also agree that renaming the rules so they are bit more descriptive would be good.

Thanks!

edg

Once I have a little free time I'll get in there and start hacking apart code on the health stuff. I know how complex it is because I've done it for 2e. It's going to take a little time to get 4 copies of it up and running but nothing I can't handle.

evildmguy October 5th, 2014 07:15 PM

Slowed down this weekend due to my anniversary.

Then for my modern supernatural game, modified Dark*Matter, I was looking at creating a vampire character using the old Dragon article. And now I'm not sure how I should implement it? Does it need something special? A template?

This is unfortunately typical of me. I get to something and then get caught up in how I could do it with what I have done or wonder if I should add more to the code to do it a different way.

We should be home next weekend, and hopefully more done then.

edg

evildmguy November 6th, 2014 12:56 PM

Sent this out to my players for feedback and am still waiting for some.

Once I get that back, I will make any changes needed and at least get something out there.

Sorry it's taking so long.

edg

evildmguy December 1st, 2014 11:27 AM

I apologize for the long delay for an update, either on the creator or communication.

I have just stalled out on this.

My players aren't using it and I don't use it for NPCs due to my style, so I'm lacking motivation. I'm hoping to do something with it but it's going to take time.

Sorry.

edg

Paragon December 6th, 2014 07:51 AM

Its a private project you're not being paid for. There's no reason you should apologize. If one of us is that damn impatient we can just get into the editor or the Authoring Kit and do it ourselves.

Pan December 14th, 2014 08:52 PM

hey evildmguy, did you ever integrate the A&E Guide i sent you?