Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - 4th Edition (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   The Herolab 5.0 upgraded version of the 4e files has broken the Themes Add-on by Daph (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48740)

cryptoknight March 28th, 2014 08:51 PM

The Herolab 5.0 upgraded version of the 4e files has broken the Themes Add-on by Daph

You can upgrade Hero lab itself to 5.0, but DO NOT UPGRADE the 4e Data files to the 5.0 ones as they will essentially be unable to load at all.

cryptoknight March 28th, 2014 08:53 PM

I wish that the HL folks would just incorporate Daphne's changes word for word into the HL release... at least that way all the work us volunteers have done making HL function properly in 4e wouldn't be wasted.

Daphne Pfister March 28th, 2014 09:21 PM

I'll try to take a look this weekend. But make no promises on a fix as I have not idea what's changed etc. yet. ( And yes I wish they would as well. Again I give full permission to incorporate my changes, and I don't even care if I'm credited or what not. )

rob March 28th, 2014 11:02 PM

Unfortunately, it's not a question of whether we WANT to include Daphne's changes. It's a question of whether we LEGALLY CAN include them. Alas, without a formal license from Wizards, we can't, so that leaves us stuck with no good option. :(

I'll flag the issues with the 4E data files directly to the Hero Lab team in case they aren't yet aware of the problem.

RavenX March 28th, 2014 11:24 PM

Rob, don't you mean Hasbro? Wizards is a subsidiary of the corporate entity fully as far as I know.

cryptoknight March 29th, 2014 03:36 AM

Rob,

I don't understand why the framework that Daphne did to support Themes is any different than the rest of the framework that supports things like classes, feats, powers, etc within the 4e ruleset. We don't need the actual themes, that's my website. Just the framework.

RavenX March 29th, 2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptoknight (Post 178886)
Rob,

I don't understand why the framework that Daphne did to support Themes is any different than the rest of the framework that supports things like classes, feats, powers, etc within the 4e ruleset. We don't need the actual themes, that's my website. Just the framework.

Cryptoknight, I believe he mentioned legality in his reply. The problem is that 4e is an unlicensed product. LWD is a small company and doesn't want to get into any legal battles with a corporate giant like Hasbro over what they can or can't add to their data. If the themes are not part of the compendium, then it could be a legal issue because the raw data has to be input by a 3rd party... Without a license, you're in a very gray area.

Daphne Pfister March 29th, 2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 178862)
Unfortunately, it's not a question of whether we WANT to include Daphne's changes. It's a question of whether we LEGALLY CAN include them. Alas, without a formal license from Wizards, we can't, so that leaves us stuck with no good option. :(

Understandable. I tried to make sure that my changes were generic and didn't include any themes ( besides a sample theme called sample with sample powers etc. ) in the frameworks themselves. But I can understand avoiding even that.

Quote:

I'll flag the issues with the 4E data files directly to the Hero Lab team in case they aren't yet aware of the problem.
Awesome, I've already seen some of the flags in the other thread. ( I have a local git repo that I keep my changes in, so it should be relatively easy for me to compare what has changed. )

Daphne Pfister March 29th, 2014 01:25 PM

FYI I've posted an update of my tweaks in a new thread.

kouen922 March 29th, 2014 04:20 PM

I've been having an issue with the themes, even before the latest update. When I select a theme (specifically the 'Noble Adept' theme from cryptoknight), the power and extra power point aren't shown on the character sheet. Is there any way to fix this?