Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Mutants & Masterminds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   (M&M 3e) One summon for more then one minion? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=46036)

McSpazz October 2nd, 2013 07:46 AM

One summon for more then one minion?

Okay, I'm kind of asking here because my DM is saying one thing and hero lab is kind of giving me rasberries as I try and get it to do what I want.

Is it possible for a single summon power to be able to summon more then one kind of minion? If so, how?

Here's the case I'm working with here, just to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

It's an immobile super computer with the power to send henchmen to the location. They do the fighting and the computer does the hacking. They are made in an underground bunker and then teleported from below the ground to one of the active party members.

Currently the super computer is the one with the summon power and his hideout is the one with the teleport power. Is there a way to get that summon power to work on more then one kind of minion, or was that DM of mine incorrect (he's more knowledgable of the literature then I am).

BardMorgan October 4th, 2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McSpazz (Post 166902)
Okay, I'm kind of asking here because my DM is saying one thing and hero lab is kind of giving me rasberries as I try and get it to do what I want.

Is it possible for a single summon power to be able to summon more then one kind of minion? If so, how?

Here's the case I'm working with here, just to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

It's an immobile super computer with the power to send henchmen to the location. They do the fighting and the computer does the hacking. They are made in an underground bunker and then teleported from below the ground to one of the active party members.

Currently the super computer is the one with the summon power and his hideout is the one with the teleport power. Is there a way to get that summon power to work on more then one kind of minion, or was that DM of mine incorrect (he's more knowledgable of the literature then I am).

Per the 3rd Ed rules, from the Summon power description:

"You always have the same minion unless you apply the Variable Type modifier, allowing you to summon different minions."

The Multiple Minions modifier allows you to summon more than one minion, each rank doubling the number.

The Horde modifier allows you to summon groups of minions with a single standard action instead of one at a time with a single standard action, which is the normal number.

The Variable Type modifier allows you to summon different minions of a general type (+1 modifier) or a broad type (+2 modifier).

Using the Variable Type, Multiple Minions, and Horde modifiers together would allow you to summon multiple minions of a general or broad type, summoning up to the maximum number of minions with a standard action. However, the Summon power would go up from 2 points per rank to 6 or 7 points per rank (depending on which flavor of Variable Type you chose).

HeroLab creates one minion in the portfolio for each instance of the Summon power your character has. You can add additional minions by hand and make them minions, but there's no way (that I know of) to bind them to a particular instance of the Summon power so that their power points are checked against what you can summon.

So yes, the rules allow it, but HeroLab has no mechanism to support it directly, at this time, as far as I know.

Hope that helps!

Morgan

Willpower September 3rd, 2022 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BardMorgan (Post 167036)
HeroLab creates one minion in the portfolio for each instance of the Summon power your character has. You can add additional minions by hand and make them minions, but there's no way (that I know of) to bind them to a particular instance of the Summon power so that their power points are checked against what you can summon.

So yes, the rules allow it, but HeroLab has no mechanism to support it directly, at this time, as far as I know.

Hope that helps!

Morgan

I have found it possible through the library to add minions. You can add them either as an advantage: minions, or through a different summons power that DOES have multiple minions set up. I just labelled the ability to indicate that it is ONLY to add additional types of minions in the Library.