Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Set max Dex bonus for armor (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=67575)

Provos January 19th, 2023 01:27 PM

Set max Dex bonus for armor

Greetings I am adding a bunch of custom armors for my Dark Sun game and they have different max dex allowed. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this in 5e like there was in 3.5. Any suggestions?

Fenris447 January 21st, 2023 08:29 AM

Basically you can treat this like a pre-requisite. Find something that requires a minimum dexterity (or other score) and use that code, changing the math appropriately.

Provos February 16th, 2023 07:27 AM

Still haven't found an example to use for this. If anyone knows a possible example to check out I would appreciate it.

Fenris447 February 20th, 2023 04:52 PM

Looked at the Defensive Duelist feat. In your Expr-reqs, add the reason as something like "Requires Dexterity 15 or lower." For the Pre-requisite expression, do:

Code:

#attrvalue[aDEX] <= 15

Provos February 20th, 2023 05:01 PM

I was talking about allow +2 or +3 from your dex to be allowed to be added to your ac. Medium armors in 5e seem to default to +2 but for special materials I wanted to allow say +3.

Fenris447 February 20th, 2023 08:03 PM

Ah.

Well, this is going to be both complicated and imperfect. Imperfect because I've never found a way to change the "Max. Dex.: +2" text to say anything else. Complicated because it's got a lot going on.

The key here is going to be hero.childfound[ArmorClass].field[tACDexMod].value. Set at a timing of Post-Attributes 3000, this is where Hero Lab stores the hero's AC that it's getting from its DEX. Normally, that's going to max out at 2 with any medium armor. But you should be able to grab the DEX mod, check if it's 3 (or whatever your custom armor allows), and change it to match what you want manually. Look up Just make sure you make the timing very late in the Post-Attributes phase or later.

Try something like:

hero.childfound[ArmorClass].field[tACDexMod].value = minimum(3,hero.childfound[aDEX].field[aModBonus].value)

You might have to play with the timings, pushing it deep (10,000+) into the Final Phase, since there's plenty that could add or subtract from your DEX bonus.

Provos February 28th, 2023 06:16 PM

Comment I received that works to change the value but not the Max Dex text.

AFTER PostAttr 2000 that sets
"herofield[tMaxDex].value = 3".

Fenris447 February 28th, 2023 06:58 PM

Oh wow. I just played around with that and it seems to work perfectly.

Provos March 1st, 2023 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hoping to figuring out how this is controlled to make it say what the eval script does. Though for right now I just have it as part of the items description.